• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crossing state lines with a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rewen

Federal law (crossing state lines)

My friend and I want to go on a trip for Thanksgiving to Kentucky, and right now we live in Texas. I am 18, he is 16.

But it seems we've run into a problem: according Wikipedia, "Federal law forbids crossing state lines or international borders with a person who is under 18."

Now this seems a bit odd to me, because assuming this is true, people under 18 aren't able to cross a border at all! I need to know if there are any specific exceptions, or if it is even a truth. It seems to me that I would be able to transport him across a border with a guardian's permission at least.

What laws, if any, are there concerning transporting a minor across state lines - or more specificly, would it be illegal for me to drive my pal to Kentucky, even though he has his legal guardian's permission.

Thanks!

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
With his guardian's permission, you're fine. It's if y'all decide to do it w/o permission that you're dead meat.

Rewen

Re:

Ahh, I see.

Maybe it would be best for us to obtain the written consent of his parents, to avoid legal trouble.

I mean, suppose we are pulled over by a police officer. What's to stop him from arresting us on the spot? Our word isn't enough, I don't think. Shucks, we could pass as brothers! This seems like a silly law, is it even true?

What proceedures would law enforcement take if we were found driving?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Rewen said:
Ahh, I see.

Maybe it would be best for us to obtain the written consent of his parents, to avoid legal trouble.

I mean, suppose we are pulled over by a police officer. What's to stop him from arresting us on the spot? Our word isn't enough, I don't think. Shucks, we could pass as brothers! This seems like a silly law, is it even true?

What proceedures would law enforcement take if we were found driving?

My response:

A silly law?

You know what? Call the FBI for your answers. Mention the Little Lindburgh Law, and then you'll find out just how "silly" things can get.

One of our contributors uses the following tag line in their responses - -

"Those who don't study their history are doomed to repeat it."

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

That's quite a drive for a 4 day holiday weekend? You understand the roads will be full of cops the entire weekend, so be sure to have written permission, your vehicle in good working order, all lights functioning, no contraband of any sort, don't speed or drive impaired. Obey all laws and have a nice trip.

Rewen

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

A silly law?

You know what? Call the FBI for your answers. Mention the Little Lindburgh Law, and then you'll find out just how "silly" things can get.

One of our contributors uses the following tag line in their responses - -

"Those who don't study their history are doomed to repeat it."

IAAL
Sorry, but how does this relate to my understanding of the issue? I said it seems silly to me. Logicly, I am sure it wouldn't be a law if it were truly silly, which is why I came here for some clarification.

By the way, I really enjoy learning history. I was hoping to learn everything about this law, both what affects me, and what doesn't.

Thanks for your input anyhow.

Wolflmg

Rewen said:
Sorry, but how does this relate to my understanding of the issue? I said it seems silly to me. Logicly, I am sure it wouldn't be a law if it were truly silly, which is why I came here for some clarification.

By the way, I really enjoy learning history. I was hoping to learn everything about this law, both what affects me, and what doesn't.

Thanks for your input anyhow.
Don't mind him, he likes to joke and play around with peoples heads.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">