• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

curfew violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stemassey

What is the name of your state? TX My son was in Austin staying with a friend for a month in the summer and received a curfew citation. we live in another city in texas and we have a court date in Austin. What is the punishment for curfew violation. Are they placed on probation or do they pay a fine and do community service. He is 16 and will be 17 in 3 weeks. What happens to me if I do not show up in court and let this just be his problem to deal with? Am I required to have an attorney; it is a juvenile appearance docket. Any help would be appreciated. I just started my 2nd semester of nursing school and was wondering if I needed to quit because of this.

CourtClerk

Calm down mom. You won't have to quit nursing school for this. Everything is going to be ok (but bop your son in the head one good time for me..k?) As a juvenile, you'll probably have to appear with him (contact the court to find out specifically).

He'll probably end up with some community service, a small fine and maybe probation, but nothing you have to halt life over.

stemassey

how likely is probation

How likely is probation? My problem is that I cant miss any days of nursing school and I can never miss clinical or I will be kicked out of the program. I read the austin city code for curfew and a curfew violation is a class c misdemeanor. the fine he has been given is 172.00. would i receive a warrant if i do not go to court since he is a minor? If I hire an attorney, wouldn't they be able to suggest community service and a fine w/o having to go to austin?

CourtClerk

I don't know Texas law well enough to comment on that, however, contact the court and ask for guidance. It will also be difficult for me to ascertain whether or not, even with an attorney you will still be required to attend.

A consultation with an attorney may be in order. Seems like you have a lot to lose due to your son's stupidity. For that I am very sorry.:(

stemassey

curfew

I am going to go ahead and get a juvenile lawyer. I don't want him to be on probation. I would rather him pay a fine, do community service, and I would like for him to be able to get deferred adjudication. I think an attorney would be able to help us in this matter. I am just so overloaded with school, work,raising kids, and taking care of my grandmother. My mom was killed in a car accident in April of this year and she was taking care of my grandmother and now that she is gone, I need to help her because she cant drive. I just cant deal with court appearances right now and I think an attorney would be able to help us. I have read alot about teen court too and I think that is a great idea and I am going to ask about that too. It is a great learning process for kids. Thanks for your help. I do worry alot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">