• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage to Rental Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gumbymac

What is the name of your state? Live in Tennessee - Vacation Property in Florida
(I also have this posted under homeowners law forum, if someone can tell me which forum is the right one I should post in I will delete the other so there isn't a duplicate)

What is the name of your state? Live in Tennessee - Vacation property Florida

My 17 yr old son stayed at a rental vacation property in Florida. The parents that signed for the condo did so knowing their child was 18 and no one staying in the condo was over 18.

The last night of the stay two teenagers (at least one a juvenile) were wrestling and put a basketball size hole in the wall, a tennis size dent in the wall and knocked the thermostat from the wall.

The child of the parents who rented the condo in a separate incident had a mustard fight damaging all linens, shower curtains, towels and extensive cleaning to several rooms.

The damage totaled approximately $1200 and the owner couldn't rent the property the next day and so is charging the parents $1800 for the loss.

Who is responsible for the costs? Is it divided equally among the teens? What legal responsibility do the parents have for letting teens stay in the condo knowing they did not reach the legal age limit of the contract?

I am the parent of the juvenile that is responsible for the holes in the wall. They are wanting me to pay for more than 25% of the damage or they are threatening to use their insurance to make a claim and then will be charging my son with a felony count of vandalism? How is that handled if the damage happened in another state? I am willing to make restitution for my son's share but what is his share?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">