• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dangerous, but legal drug, School property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Strokezeyy

What is the name of your state? AZ

I recently found out about a legal plant called Jimson Weed. Tried it out and liked it. Brought it on my school bus and told a couple friends about it. Its a deadly plant, but if used right could be like shrooms or pcp. Now, i gave a friend 1 and 1/2 cups of it and he drank it all. He was 18 years old. The next day I found out he went to the hospital for drinking it. Teachers questioned me and said they are gunna watch the bus tape.

What kind of charges could I get and what kind of punishment?
It was a legal drug, he was 18 so he was considered an adult. He was aware that it might make him "trip out". The only thing I can think of at the moment is that it was on a school bus, which is considered school property.

I'm really nervous and scared of what might happen monday. Seeing as I have OK grades and im on my school's swim team.
PLEASE HELP!

weenor

What is the name of your state? AZ

I recently found out about a legal plant called Jimson Weed. Tried it out and liked it. Brought it on my school bus and told a couple friends about it. Its a deadly plant, but if used right could be like shrooms or pcp. Now, i gave a friend 1 and 1/2 cups of it and he drank it all. He was 18 years old. The next day I found out he went to the hospital for drinking it. Teachers questioned me and said they are gunna watch the bus tape.

What kind of charges could I get and what kind of punishment?
It was a legal drug, he was 18 so he was considered an adult. He was aware that it might make him "trip out". The only thing I can think of at the moment is that it was on a school bus, which is considered school property.

I'm really nervous and scared of what might happen monday. Seeing as I have OK grades and im on my school's swim team.
PLEASE HELP!
Might want to consider a lawyer. Just because a hallucinogen is not specifically listed in the statute DOES NOT necessarily make it LEGAL.

CdwJava

Jimson weed might be legal ... but the ingredients are not. You gave someone a prepared blend of the weed. Pursuant to ARS 36-2515 and 36-2516, depending on the preparation you provided the person with a schedule IV or V controlled substance (the active ingredients in Jimson Weed include atropine, hyoscyamine and scopolamine). I am not going to bother searching any further as I am confident that AZ law prohibits the furnishing of controlled substances to others. Further, you could be charged with poisoning him because I am going to take a guess that any member of the Nightshade family is going to qualify as a poison.

Have mom and dad hire an attorney ASAP. You better HOPE that the kid is not gravely injured and that your parents have money to pay for the inevitable civil suit and medical bills.

Oh, and unlike 'shrooms and LSD, Jimson Weed provides for true hallucinations and not just sensory distortions ... so, it is - in essence - a hallucinogen.

- Carl

Last edited:

Strokezeyy

Whats with you people?

Jesus... My parents do not even know about this and I don't think we could afford that. ALSO. HE WAS AWARE OF THE EFFECTS AND HE VOLUNTEERED TO DRINK IT. I couldnt possibly be charged for poising him that rediculous. I could see if maybe I told him it plain old tea. I told him what happened to me when I tried it. Hallucionation, blurry vision the whole story, and yet he still insisted, there isnt even peer pressure. And I dont think his parents would sue seeing as hes 18 years old. It would be his job to sue.

weenor

Jesus... My parents do not even know about this and I don't think we could afford that. ALSO. HE WAS AWARE OF THE EFFECTS AND HE VOLUNTEERED TO DRINK IT. I couldnt possibly be charged for poising him that rediculous. I could see if maybe I told him it plain old tea. I told him what happened to me when I tried it. Hallucionation, blurry vision the whole story, and yet he still insisted, there isnt even peer pressure. And I dont think his parents would sue seeing as hes 18 years old. It would be his job to sue.

De nile is not just a river in Egypt.

Shay-Pari'e

So you just come with a mixture of this tea on a school bus? Dude, you are dangerous, and in need of much help.

Don't be surprised when he sues you. Don't be surprised when you are kicked out of the school district.

You should probably tell your parents now.

justalayman

[
QUOTE=Strokezeyy;1480426]Jesus... My parents do not even know about this and I don't think we could afford that.
I suspect they will shortly

. I couldnt possibly be charged for poising him that rediculous
Tell that to Dr. Kevorkian. He's in prison right now for doing what a patient asked him to do.Whether he asked or not does not change the facts. If I give a gun to a person who then kills himself and I was aware he was going to do it, I do have culpability. You have culpability in the poisoning of your friend.

CdwJava

Strokezeyy said:
Jesus... My parents do not even know about this and I don't think we could afford that.
They will find out if the police come knocking at your door.

ALSO. HE WAS AWARE OF THE EFFECTS AND HE VOLUNTEERED TO DRINK IT.
Replace "Jimson Weed" with "cocaine" ... do you think you might get in trouble if you gave someone a gram of cocaine and they took the whole amount? Just providing it to him is likely a crime.

I couldnt possibly be charged for poising him that rediculous.
You gave him a drink that could KILL him or cause great damage ... I don't know what the statute is in Arizona, but it generally includes intentionally providing someone a substance which will cause them harm. Whether it falls under AZ's statutes, I don't know - but it is a possibility.

Hence, just one additional reason for a lawyer.

Hallucionation, blurry vision the whole story, and yet he still insisted, there isnt even peer pressure. And I dont think his parents would sue seeing as hes 18 years old. It would be his job to sue.
If he survives ... if he is okay, then he will have to find an attorney. If your folks have any assets (house, cars, business), it will almost be a certainty that they will be sued. Insurance companies will want compensation for their loss. Additionally, it is very likely that he is still legally a dependent if 18 and in high school, so his parents may well have the right to sue.

Can you see now the kind of damage that acts of stupidity can cause? You could have killed this kid! Heck, you could have killed yourself! Now, you will be darn lucky if you don't get sued or prosecuted. MAYBE the other kid will just count his lucky stars and he and his family won't make an issue out of it ... the school might, however - as will the police. And if the school gets sued, you can be sure they will look to cover their losses.

Ah, the law of unintended consequences ... ya gotta love how it unfolds.

- Carl

Strokezeyy

I can guarentee you he will make a full recorvery by tomarrow. I understand what you all are saying, but dont you think it was his responstibility to chose whether to drink it or not?

CdwJava

Strokezeyy said:
I can guarentee you he will make a full recorvery by tomarrow. I understand what you all are saying, but dont you think it was his responstibility to chose whether to drink it or not?
There are two potential court actions you face: Criminal (for furnishing the scheduled drug and/or poisoning) and civil (for the same, causing harm and economic hardship).

On the criminal side the state will argue that you provided a preparation that included a scheduled controlled substance and all they have to show is that you knowingly provided him with the substance. Your attorney MIGHT be able to argue a mistake of the law, but the old adage is: "ignorance of the law is no excuse." Being that you are a minor you MIGHT be able to argue ignorance and mitigate some criminal liability.

On the civil side, the plaintiff might argue that you knowingly provided the lad with a substance you knew to cause hallucinations and, in some cases, even death. Your attorney might argue that you warned him of the risks and he still took it. However, the plaintiff will probably deny that any such warning was given, and even if it was that you downplayed it.

In any event you could very well face expulsion from school ... mom and dad will find out about this whole thing, then, won't they?

There really is no way to say how it might pan out at this point. Suffice it to say that you face the potential of serious criminal charges, and the potential liability for any and all medical bills PLUS pain and suffering. His willingness to take it MIGHT mitigate some damage, but I have seen cases where drug dealers took the full hit for providing an addict with ther drugs he or she asked for! The only thing going for you is your age, and the possibility of widespread ignorance on this dangerous and dadly plant being a sufficient defense.

You really do need to get an attorney.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">