• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dating laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cali2017

I live in California and my boyfriend is turning 18 in july and i will be 16 in august. What is illegal for us to do once he turns 18? Kissing? Making out? Holding hands? I know sex is out of the question but he is so darn worried to kiss me.

Just Blue

I live in California and my boyfriend is turning 18 in july and i will be 16 in august. What is illegal for us to do once he turns 18? Kissing? Making out? Holding hands? I know sex is out of the question but he is so darn worried to kiss me.
He can bea friend of yours (sans benefit);)

CdwJava

No sex (fondling, groping, or those things we might consider getting beyond "first base") for ANYONE under 18 even if you both are. Beyond that, as long as your parents are okay with the two of you seeing each other, it's fine.

quincy

If your parent(s) and his parent(s) are all right with you and your boyfriend dating, there should be no problem with you and your boyfriend dating. Many 18 year olds and 16 year olds date. Holding hands is okay. Kissing should not be a problem.

Sex and sexting needs to be avoided as these can get both of you in various sorts of trouble and can affect your lives in all sorts of bad ways.

Following are two links to the laws in California that you and your boyfriend need to consider:

From the California Bar Foundation, "Kids & Law" (2011):
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/portals/0/documents/publications/kids_2011_english.pdf

California Penal Code Section 261-269:
http://www.ageofconsent.com/california.htm

It is good to hear that your boyfriend is concerned about dating a 16-year-old. His future can depend on how he treats his relationship with you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A former poster on these boards used to say, If you wouldn't do it sitting in the front pew of the church on Christmas morning with your parents sitting in the pew behind, don't do it.

CdwJava

So making out and kissing is totally ok?
If by "making out" you mean ONLY kissing and hand holding, then it's legal ... that doesn't mean it's "okay." It is only "okay" if you are good with the hand-holding and kissing, and your parents are not opposed to the activity.

As I mentioned, any fondling, groping, or more, is a crime. And going anywhere or hanging with people that your parents do not approve of is not "okay" and can result in the potential of criminal charges for the boyfriend under the right circumstances.

As long as the two of you keep things respectable and above board, dating should not be a legal issue at all.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A former poster on these boards used to say, If you wouldn't do it sitting in the front pew of the church on Christmas morning with your parents sitting in the pew behind, don't do it.
To make it even easier - if you wouldn't do it in front of your grandmother - you shouldn't be doing it.

0331jjw

Family problems

Hi, my name is Jay and my nephew has a bit of a problem. He is 19 and he hopped on POF, found an attractive female, ( who's age was 18 in the profile) and they started messaging. After a while they exchanged cell numbers and started texting. She said she was 16 about to turn 17 but they kept on the conversation. As time goes on, she starts 'hinting' sexual innuendos and asks if he was down to exchange photos. She sends one but he doesn't believe it's her so she sends two more of her nude including her face. He sends one of his genitals and they talk the talk. The next day no messages were sent between the two and he gets a call from her father saying they are sending her through counselling and it's an $1800 dollar program. His insurance will cover half, but if my nephew covers the left over $900 her father won't press charges. I personally told him it was a scam, but you can never be too sure with the hefty punishment of sexual predator. Please, PLEASE respond asap I really want to help this kid and he is worried dick. Thank you all so much!

Silverplum

Hi, my name is Jay and my nephew has a bit of a problem. He is 19 and he hopped on POF, found an attractive female, ( who's age was 18 in the profile) and they started messaging. After a while they exchanged cell numbers and started texting. She said she was 16 about to turn 17 but they kept on the conversation. As time goes on, she starts 'hinting' sexual innuendos and asks if he was down to exchange photos. She sends one but he doesn't believe it's her so she sends two more of her nude including her face. He sends one of his genitals and they talk the talk. The next day no messages were sent between the two and he gets a call from her father saying they are sending her through counselling and it's an $1800 dollar program. His insurance will cover half, but if my nephew covers the left over $900 her father won't press charges. I personally told him it was a scam, but you can never be too sure with the hefty punishment of sexual predator. Please, PLEASE respond asap I really want to help this kid and he is worried dick. Thank you all so much!
I'll bet he is. :cool:

You shouldn't be dragging up someone else's thread to ask someone else's question: your "nephew" should consult an attorney himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">