• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dating a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Strider FX 5

What is the name of your state? California

I have been dating a minor who is 14 years old and I am 18. When we first met, she has told me that she was actually 16 years old, but then she recently told me that she was actually 14. Her parents have now contacted the police department and I now have received a card from a police officer asking to contact the department and speak to another officer... What is this leading to? Have they already filed charges against me or what?

Happy Trails

Strider FX 5 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I have been dating a minor who is 14 years old and I am 18. When we first met, she has told me that she was actually 16 years old, but then she recently told me that she was actually 14. Her parents have now contacted the police department and I now have received a card from a police officer asking to contact the department and speak to another officer... What is this leading to? Have they already filed charges against me or what?
It all depends on what you mean by "dating". We don't know where this is leading. We could speculate, however, you of all people would know if you did anything that was inappropriate or illegal. Not knowing the actual age of the person you were dating is no defense if you did break the law.

Last edited:

Strider FX 5

By dating, I mean just going out to the movies and stuff... All we did was just give each other small kisses. Can I get in trouble for just spending time with her? I recently got a call from the officer, he asked me to come down for questioning tomorrow. He said they just want to evaluate my side of the story to her parent's side. Then they will evaluate the case to see if any action is needed to be done.

Wolflmg

Just be honest and explain your story, is the best you can do for now.

How long have you been dateing her?

And did you ever meet her parents face to face?

Seeing that she is 14, you probably would of have to pick her up from her house to go to the movies. I would think most parents would want to know who is takeing their kid to the movies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">