• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dating a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dorkphish01

My girlfriend is less than 3 years younger than me. I turn 18 in January and she turns 15 ten days before I become an adult can we still be together. We both don't want sexual relations or anything like that. Can we still be together?

quincy

My girlfriend is less than 3 years younger than me. I turn 18 in January and she turns 15 ten days before I become an adult can we still be together. We both don't want sexual relations or anything like that. Can we still be together?
I know you earlier tacked your question onto a thread from 2004 but I don't remember the original poster's state and I don't know if you are from the same state.

State laws have changed significantly in the past 12 years when it comes to sex between minors and each state handles these laws in a different way. So ... if you are in the US, could you please provide the name of your state so we can answer your question better?

I can tell you now, though, that what will get 18 year olds in trouble when dating 15 year olds will be the sexual relations aspect of the dating. If you are strictly dating (with no sexual contact of any kind), you should not have difficulties with the sex-between-minors laws. You could, however, have difficulties with the 15 year old's parents, if they object to their daughter seeing an older fellow (or you in particular). I hope your girlfriend's parents like you. :)

Again, if you post back with your state name, we can provide you with the laws specific for your state. Thanks.

justalayman

Ask her parents this question. Regardless of the legality of the issue, she is under the control of her parents and if they do not want you to see their daughter, they do have the legal means to prevent you from seeing their daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">