• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dating a Minor in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

longlostfame

What is the name of your state? California.

Can a parent do anything if i am a 18 year old male dating their 15 year old daughter. Like prosecute me in any way?

JETX

longlostfame said:
Can a parent do anything if i am a 18 year old male dating their 15 year old daughter. Like prosecute me in any way?
If you have ANY sexual contact, yes.

For example:
"261.5. (a) Unlawful sexual intercourse is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person who is not the spouse of the perpetrator, if the person is a minor. For the purposes of this section, a "minor" is a person under the age of 18 years and an "adult" is a person who is at least 18 years of age.
(b) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is not more than three years older or three years younger than the perpetrator, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(c) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is more than three years younger than the perpetrator is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison."

And more......

rmet4nzkx

longlostfame said:
What is the name of your state? California.

There was a time in California where the age of majority for females was 18 and 21 for males, so an 18 female could be charged with statutory rape for sexual contact with a 20.11 year old male. Times have changed and age of majority in now 18 for both. A complex series of laws come into play to answer your question because it involves what kind of contact, including verbal, so it is more than just sexual intercourse but sexual contact and or infuence, so yes, you could be charged with some sort of a crime/s by the fact that you had a relationship with a minor, from contributing to the delinquency of a minor to statory rape especially with an age gap of more than 2 years.
Calif. 18 Illegal to have intercourse with minor (not a spouse) <18. If actor is not more than three years older than victim, charge is a misdemeanor; harshest penalty for actor >21 when victim is <16.

CdwJava

Well, if there is NO physical contact (fondling, groping or sex) then the parents can still do some things. If they want to, they can obtain a restraining order preventing you from seeing her. If you see her without their permission - and without a restraining order - they can still see about charging you with contributing to the delinquency of a minor if she is disobeying them or sneaking away ... and there are more.

Bottomline is that if the parents do not want you two together, you risk jail by BEING together.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">