• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dating a minor in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

virusdude17

What is the name of your state?
California.

I am 16 and a half years old and have been dating my 18 year old boyfriend for a little over a year now. We got together 3 months before he was even 18. My dad is freaked out about him and has never met him but he has a girlfriend that hates him and he listens to everything the women says. She simply doesnt like him because she got the wrong impression and thinks he is ****y and controlling when he was only trying to show convidence when talking to her. He is far from controlling and I love him very much. So my father is saying that he is going to call the police, and now he is getting a restraining order. BUT my grandparents(who i live with half of the week) absolutly love him and think he is a great guy. They said they are going to help me out as best as they can, but I dont think they can help much. We have not had sex and dont plan on it untill Im 18 but we do have letters that my father found saying that he wanted to see me naked, but it doesnt say anything about us having sex, which we dont. Can my father get a restraining order? Is there anyway i can be with this guy without having to wait a year and a half? Can he get into any serious trouble?

CdwJava

virusdude17 said:
I am 16 and a half years old and have been dating my 18 year old boyfriend for a little over a year now. We got together 3 months before he was even 18.
Okay ... so far no legal problem unless the two of you are having sexual relations or conducting some heavy petting.

My dad is freaked out about him and has never met him but he has a girlfriend that hates him and he listens to everything the women says.
Gee ... go figure ... dad and his girlfriend don't like the man you're dating.

This is normal. Unless the young man is very polite and respectful to them, he is not likely to earn their respect. The last thing a man wants is to have his daughter dating a lazy or useless lout.

She simply doesnt like him because she got the wrong impression and thinks he is ****y and controlling when he was only trying to show convidence when talking to her.
He should not be showing confidence - he should be demonstrating respect.

He is far from controlling and I love him very much.
Honestly, you'll say that a dozen more times about other men and boys over the next few years. It's natural.

So my father is saying that he is going to call the police, and now he is getting a restraining order.
Unless you two are doing the wild thing or getting very touchy-feely, the police won't be interested. But, he might be able to get a restraining order if he can articulate that he is encouraging you to disobey him in some way. If you leave the house or run away to be with him, avoid school, or are otherwise disobedient, dad might be able to get the order.

BUT my grandparents(who i live with half of the week) absolutly love him and think he is a great guy. They said they are going to help me out as best as they can, but I dont think they can help much.
Legally they have NO say at all.

We have not had sex and dont plan on it untill Im 18 but we do have letters that my father found saying that he wanted to see me naked, but it doesnt say anything about us having sex, which we dont.
Okay, now THAT would get a father hot! And what do you think would be the end result if he saw you naked?? You think it would be hand-holding?!

If you are really not having sex or mutual fondling, then good for you! I commend you on restraint that many other kids your age do not have. However, I have to admit to some skepticism here.

Can my father get a restraining order? Is there anyway i can be with this guy without having to wait a year and a half? Can he get into any serious trouble?
Yes, he might be able to - depending on the circumstances ... it depends on what you mean by being "with this guy" ... and, yes, he could get into serious trouble if he violates a court order or fondles, gropes, or diddles you.

- Carl

virusdude17

hahahaha
Yes, i am a girl but the name that i usually use was taken so i used my boyfriends screen name because it is easy for me to remember, thanks for the advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">