• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter was injured on a military base by another child...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

navycracker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

First off, I am in the military, and this maybe more complicated than I think, so this is why I am asking this question.

Yesterday my wife and I dropped our 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son off at the base youth center for a date night. About an hour and a half later, I get a call the she had broken her arm falling from the jungle gym. After they told me they were taking her to another base hospital, they told me it may have been an accident that was caused by another child that was being cared for that night.

When I got to the hospital, we see that my daughter's arm is severely deformed (ulna and radius are both broken) and later we find out that the humerus is also broken and will require pins to properly set it and heal it. During this time, I ask my daughter what happened and she told me another boy (who she doesn't know and never saw before) was picking on her and calling her names and wouldn't leave her alone after repeated requests to stop. After one more name, she finally had enough and told the boy to leave her alone or she was going to tell the adults and she ran off to a swing. I don't know what the swing is, but apparently you hang from a handle and it's attached to a pole and you can go around in circles. Well, she was hanging from this swing and the boy ran up behind her and pushed her so hard and fast that she got scared and let go, causing the injury. She then ran to tell the adults that she needed help because she was in pain and the boy took off in the other direction.

I talked with the Youth Center Director today and was told the boy was immediately removed from the program and had his parents called. Once questioned, he admitted to the whole story my daughter explained to me and the adults at the youth center. The director told me there was a report that would be generated and the boy would no longer be allowed to go to the youth center, and that she was going to recommend counseling for him to get his behavior under control.

My question(s) is/are, since this happened on the base can we press charges against the boy? And if so, can we press charges for assault? I need to talk to people on Monday, but I am not even sure if they are obligated to give me the boy's information due to privacy rules for the military and our families.

My daughter's summer is going to be ruined because of this kid and things could still go wrong if the bones don't heal right. Another problem is, the base hospital apparently only has one pediatric orthopedic surgeon, and she is out of town on a conference. She is leaving the conference early, but won't be able to do the surgery until Monday and the injury happened Friday night. So my daughter has to sit in pain for 2 and half days waiting to be seen by the surgeon to properly set and fix her arm.

I appreciate any and all advice. My wife is more upset than I am but I am still pretty mad and want to know what can be done.

Thank you for your time!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

First off, I am in the military, and this maybe more complicated than I think, so this is why I am asking this question.

Yesterday my wife and I dropped our 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son off at the base youth center for a date night. About an hour and a half later, I get a call the she had broken her arm falling from the jungle gym. After they told me they were taking her to another base hospital, they told me it may have been an accident that was caused by another child that was being cared for that night.

When I got to the hospital, we see that my daughter's arm is severely deformed (ulna and radius are both broken) and later we find out that the humerus is also broken and will require pins to properly set it and heal it. During this time, I ask my daughter what happened and she told me another boy (who she doesn't know and never saw before) was picking on her and calling her names and wouldn't leave her alone after repeated requests to stop. After one more name, she finally had enough and told the boy to leave her alone or she was going to tell the adults and she ran off to a swing. I don't know what the swing is, but apparently you hang from a handle and it's attached to a pole and you can go around in circles. Well, she was hanging from this swing and the boy ran up behind her and pushed her so hard and fast that she got scared and let go, causing the injury. She then ran to tell the adults that she needed help because she was in pain and the boy took off in the other direction.

I talked with the Youth Center Director today and was told the boy was immediately removed from the program and had his parents called. Once questioned, he admitted to the whole story my daughter explained to me and the adults at the youth center. The director told me there was a report that would be generated and the boy would no longer be allowed to go to the youth center, and that she was going to recommend counseling for him to get his behavior under control.

My question(s) is/are, since this happened on the base can we press charges against the boy? And if so, can we press charges for assault? I need to talk to people on Monday, but I am not even sure if they are obligated to give me the boy's information due to privacy rules for the military and our families.

My daughter's summer is going to be ruined because of this kid and things could still go wrong if the bones don't heal right. Another problem is, the base hospital apparently only has one pediatric orthopedic surgeon, and she is out of town on a conference. She is leaving the conference early, but won't be able to do the surgery until Monday and the injury happened Friday night. So my daughter has to sit in pain for 2 and half days waiting to be seen by the surgeon to properly set and fix her arm.

I appreciate any and all advice. My wife is more upset than I am but I am still pretty mad and want to know what can be done.

Thank you for your time!
How old is the other child?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">