• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter wants to move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maneki

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado (Arizona might be applicable)

My daughter is 17 and we currently live in Colorado. She is in the process of getting her GED. Without getting into all the personal details, she would like to move to AZ to live with her cousin. My daughter is very responsible and her cousin is 21, in school and has a job and her own apartment. I have no problems with her moving in with her cousin, if there is a way to do this legally. She would not be a runaway or anything like that. I've been trying to find info on age of majority in Colorado and find in some areas it says 18 and other places it says 17, so I'm really not sure.

Is this a move she can make legally?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Where is her other parent?

Generally, you'd simply need to create a document give the adult guardianship.

maneki

Her father hasn't been in the picture in over 10 years. No one, including the state, can find him. The document, would it need to be filed with the court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Her father hasn't been in the picture in over 10 years. No one, including the state, can find him. The document, would it need to be filed with the court?
Not necessarily. When does kiddo turn 18?

ETA: It's also possible that a POA would suffice.

LdiJ

Not necessarily. When does kiddo turn 18?

ETA: It's also possible that a POA would suffice.
Since the child won't have to be enrolled in school, there is a good chance that a POA would be sufficient. Certainly mom is free to give her almost adult child permission to live with someone else.

maneki

She turns 18 in September. One reason why she wants to move before turning 18 is she plans on going to college in AZ but can't get in state tuition until she's been there a year. She'd like to start her residency as soon as she can so to make school tuition more affordable sooner.

Thank you for all the help. I'm glad to know this isn't completely impossible.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's legal if you give her permission. At 17 she cannot move out of the house without permission without risking being hauled back as a runaway, but if you give her permission she's fine.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
She turns 18 in September. One reason why she wants to move before turning 18 is she plans on going to college in AZ but can't get in state tuition until she's been there a year. She'd like to start her residency as soon as she can so to make school tuition more affordable sooner.

Thank you for all the help. I'm glad to know this isn't completely impossible.
Oh, it might be. This is applicable to Arizona Universities/Colleges.

Arizona Board of Regents
Summary for Classification of Students for Tuition Purposes
II. Requirements for Resident Status:

The general rule is that in order to obtain resident status for tuition purposes, a student must establish his or her domicile in Arizona at least one year immediately prior to the last day of regular registration for the semester in which the student proposes to attend the university. Arizona domicile occurs when a financially independent person is physically present in Arizona with the intention of making Arizona his or her permanent home.
Financial independence, for purposes of residency classification, means a student's ability to meet his or her expenses from self-generated funds under his or her control. A student will generally be considered financially independent if he or she:
Is a veteran of the U.S. Armed forces, or
Was not claimed as an income tax deduction by his or her parents or any other individual for the two years immediately preceding the request for residency classification, and has demonstrated objective evidence of self-support for the two tax years immediately preceding the request for residency classification.
An adult student (age 18 or older) or legally emancipated minor must couple his or her physical presence within Arizona for one year with two years financial independence and objective evidence that such presence is consistent with his or her intent in making Arizona his or her permanent home. If these steps are delayed, the duration period will be extended until all requirements have been demonstrated for one full year, with financial independence for two years.
The domicile of an unemancipated minor is that of his or her parents (father, mother, or legal guardian where there is no surviving parent, or the whereabouts of the parents are unknown). In addition, an unemancipated person who is enrolled at the University and who remains in Arizona after his or her parents establish a domicile elsewhere does not lose resident status while in continuous attendance toward the degree for which currently enrolled.
http://www.registrar.arizona.edu/residency/aborreq.htm

maneki

Well that would be a shame if her time wouldn't begin to count toward in state tuition. That's not the only reason for her wanting to move out there now though. How can I find out if a POA is all I need or if I have to do some other sort of permission?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether you need anything depends on what you are trying to accomplish. She can move out, with your permission, with no paperwork at all. Are you concerned about her being able to obtain health care? Enroll in school? Something else?

maneki

Health care is a concern, though I may be able to keep her on mine until she's at least 18, even if she's not living with me. I will have to check into that more. I'm sure she'll want to get a license out there and get a job. Those are the main things.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You CAN keep her on your health insurance until she's 26. That's part of the Affordable Care Act. I was thinking less about health insurance and more about giving permission for medical treatment in an emergency.

How old is the cousin she would be moving in with?

maneki

I'm still uncertain about the ACA so I didn't know that. That's a relief. At least I don't have to worry about that. Emergency care is something I would, of course, want her to be able to receive. The cousin is currently 21, will be almost 22 when the move happens.

Just Blue

I'm still uncertain about the ACA so I didn't know that. That's a relief. At least I don't have to worry about that. Emergency care is something I would, of course, want her to be able to receive. The cousin is currently 21, will be almost 22 when the move happens.
Am I the only member that forsees a likely issue with a 17 year old moving in with a not quite 22 year old?:confused:

maneki

I would, if I didn't know the two involved. My daughter is very responsible, as is her cousin. Plus the cousin's grandmother lives right near by and thinks of my daughter as another granddaughter and would be available should there be any problems. I don't anticipate any, honestly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">