• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ieshah

Can parental rights be terminated if a mental illness occurred during dependency case? Can a judge over look a diagnosis? Can the court predicts prolonged substance abuse with out any evidence that medication for diagnosis may or may not change behavior?"

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Can parental rights be terminated if a mental illness occurred during dependency case? Can a judge over look a diagnosis? Can the court predicts prolonged substance abuse with out any evidence that medication for diagnosis may or may not change behavior?"
You're asking questions in a vacuum. What happened?

(And where are you located?)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes it is possible parental rights could be terminated.

Ieshah

You're asking questions in a vacuum. What happened?

(And where are you located?)
Im in arizona. Basically, i had a substance exposed baby that i was already placing for adoption. My two kids i had already were removed because of it. They were placed with my mother, i did everything i was required to do. Graduated substance abuse treatment and my ua's were all clean all within 5months. Two months later my mother passed away from cancer and my kids got placed with my aunt (their great-aunt) I relapsed and struggled for 4moths. However cps didnt offer me counseling when my mom passed they didnt care really. I reached out and got help to deal with her death. I did good for 3 months then i got diagnosed with depression. I again reached out and asked for help. Long story but do my questions make sense now? Lol

LdiJ

Im in arizona. Basically, i had a substance exposed baby that i was already placing for adoption. My two kids i had already were removed because of it. They were placed with my mother, i did everything i was required to do. Graduated substance abuse treatment and my ua's were all clean all within 5months. Two months later my mother passed away from cancer and my kids got placed with my aunt (their great-aunt) I relapsed and struggled for 4moths. However cps didnt offer me counseling when my mom passed they didnt care really. I reached out and got help to deal with her death. I did good for 3 months then i got diagnosed with depression. I again reached out and asked for help. Long story but do my questions make sense now? Lol
They make a little more sense but you did not finish your explanation. What is happening now that makes you ask the questions? Did they terminate your rights? Are they trying to terminate your rights? What is going on now?

Ieshah

The judge granted termination but i am going through the appeal process. Basically, do i have a chance with the appeal? I was still engaged with terros i completed my parent aide services. The granted termination basically due to the case being open more than 15 months and the assume that substance use will prolong. I dont think thats fair, i was diagnosed with depression and barely got on medication. How can prolonged use be valid when my mental illness just got treated? They didn't even give my medication a chance to show improvement or not. Assuming prolonged use simply on the case being open so long is unfair

Ieshah

Given i recently received the diagnosis, i feel like treatment for mental illness should be a major factor. Treating depression has helped drastically and since they terminated my rights without allowing me to demonstrating my mental state with medicine is unfair?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
The judge granted termination but i am going through the appeal process. Basically, do i have a chance with the appeal? I was still engaged with terros i completed my parent aide services. The granted termination basically due to the case being open more than 15 months and the assume that substance use will prolong. I dont think thats fair, i was diagnosed with depression and barely got on medication. How can prolonged use be valid when my mental illness just got treated? They didn't even give my medication a chance to show improvement or not. Assuming prolonged use simply on the case being open so long is unfair
So if I understand your story:

Your children were taken from you because of your substance abuse and custody given to your mother. Your mother passed away, custody then went to your aunt.
You were clean for 5 months, relapsed for 4 months, then got clean again.
You were being seen at Terros, and received a diagnosis of depression, which you're now being medicated for.

Here's the problem as I see it: your children weren't taken away from you because you were depressed, but because you are an addict. I'll assume you've had this problem for years, as your 2 oldest children were removed from your custody and the 3rd was born addicted.

It's great that you're now getting treatment, but I wouldn't be optimistic about your rights being reinstated.

Just Blue

So if I understand your story:

Your children were taken from you because of your substance abuse and custody given to your mother. Your mother passed away, custody then went to your aunt.
You were clean for 5 months, relapsed for 4 months, then got clean again.
You were being seen at Terros, and received a diagnosis of depression, which you're now being medicated for.

Here's the problem as I see it: your children weren't taken away from you because you were depressed, but because you are an addict. I'll assume you've had this problem for years, as your 2 oldest children were removed from your custody and the 3rd was born addicted.

It's great that you're now getting treatment, but I wouldn't be optimistic about your rights being reinstated.
Agree...The children should not have to "ride" on OP's "roller coaster" of life. Hopefully the new baby will be the rare child that doesn't have neurological damage from his/her prenatal abuse.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No way to put it but bluntly - how is it fair for your children to have to wait for you to get your act together?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">