• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Detained by police, and Police left a bruise on arm.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sniper420

Lexington, Kentucky

I am a 16 year old male. But yesturday I was hanging out with 4 buddies, and this guy comes up wanting to beat up my friend. The guy is 19, and my friend is 18. The 19 yr old brings a half broken bottle and a metal broom stick handle. He starts egging all of us on to fight, so he charges at us and all of us beat him down. I only got like 2 hits in tho, but still long story short cops show up. Ask for the basics(name, address, ect) I only give them my name and I told them that I am going to keep my mouth shut. So two officers try to bully me into giving them my info by saying that I'm only making it harder on myself, and both of them pick me up by each of my arms and drag me to the crusier. They ask what I have and reach into my carhartt pockets to get my stuff out, I didn't agree to a search. At the time I was being detained but not charged with anything, well I sit in the cruiser for like 30 minutes while they investigate some more.

The officers come back and they call up like 10 different people including the Sargent of the department asking if they can charge me with anything as long as I don't feel like I "won" and was "right" in the situation. Well the sarge just says to let me go and I am let go into my parents custody after that.

Well I go home and look at my arm and see it has a big bruise on it, I already took pictures and know the officers name. Would I have a case here of excessive force or not?

moburkes

You're 16. Stop getting into fights, provoked or not, and be a productive member of our society. Please. You don't want the rest of your life to be this way.

seniorjudge

Lexington, Kentucky

I am a 16 year old male. But yesturday I was hanging out with 4 buddies, and this guy comes up wanting to beat up my friend. The guy is 19, and my friend is 18. The 19 yr old brings a half broken bottle and a metal broom stick handle. He starts egging all of us on to fight, so he charges at us and all of us beat him down. I only got like 2 hits in tho, but still long story short cops show up. Ask for the basics(name, address, ect) I only give them my name and I told them that I am going to keep my mouth shut. So two officers try to bully me into giving them my info by saying that I'm only making it harder on myself, and both of them pick me up by each of my arms and drag me to the crusier. They ask what I have and reach into my carhartt pockets to get my stuff out, I didn't agree to a search. At the time I was being detained but not charged with anything, well I sit in the cruiser for like 30 minutes while they investigate some more.

The officers come back and they call up like 10 different people including the Sargent of the department asking if they can charge me with anything as long as I don't feel like I "won" and was "right" in the situation. Well the sarge just says to let me go and I am let go into my parents custody after that.

Well I go home and look at my arm and see it has a big bruise on it, I already took pictures and know the officers name. Would I have a case here of excessive force or not?

Q: Would I have a case here of excessive force or not?

A: There was a big gang fight and all you got was a bruise you didn't even notice till you got home? You got off lucky.

BelizeBreeze

Lexington, Kentucky

Sure. You have the right to get rid of the punk assed attitude. Otherwise, ask your parents for about $10,000 for a lawsuit that will be dismissed the moment you file the petition.

You have nothing.

Sniper420

Q: Would I have a case here of excessive force or not?

A: There was a big gang fight and all you got was a bruise you didn't even notice till you got home? You got off lucky.
It wasn't a "big gang fight" and I didn't get hit once during the fight which lasted like 30 seconds. Also the bruise covers up most of my upper arm from where the officer grabber me,

Silverplum

Lexington, Kentucky

You're a joke, son.

You got into a street fight with 5 guys (your team) on 1.
And you're all upset that you have a bruise?

Wah, wah, wah. :rolleyes: :p

seniorjudge

what the heck, aren't those clothes for people who have JOBS? what is the fascination with Carhartt and Dickies, to kind of give that illusion of employment??:rolleyes:
I suppose it's the same fascination as these kids who want to look like they are in prison!:D

(Most of popular culture is lost on me....)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And truthfully you are lucky. If asked for ID by the police you are supposed to provide. The Supreme Court has ruled on that issue.

tranquility

And truthfully you are lucky. If asked for ID by the police you are supposed to provide. The Supreme Court has ruled on that issue.
Not exactly. They ruled that a specific statute requiring a person to provide identification if the police have reasonable suspicion of some crime is not unconstitutional. A large majority of states, including Kentucky, do not yet have such a statute. (Also, the law speaks of identifying yourself. When the police come and say, "Let me see your papers."[In a slightly menacing German accent.], only in certain situations do you need to show ID.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">