• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DFCS limintation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

-cody-

This question is regarding the boundries of DFCS by law in Georgia. I'm 17 years old and I have a girlfriend who is 15. She's at my house all of the time, sometimes leaves, sometimes stays all night. We both have consent from our legal guardians to do so. Randomly one day DFCS shows up at the school for my girlfriend. Knowing my girlfriend is a bit outspoken I figure someone that has nothing to do with anything heard my girlfriend talking about our relationship and found it inappropriate and called DFCS.

So to the point, DFCS gives my girlfriend only one major guideline to follow: no spending the night at your boyfriend's house or we will put you in a foster home.

WTF?

This seems completely outragious. I think they might just be trying to scare my girlfriend. Ive never heard of any kind of law where any person in authority can tell you where you can and can't spend the night (with the exception of parents, or if there's a restraining order involved) Im aware it is technically a misdemeanor for us to engage in intercourse, but for her to just stay over? Is this truly lawful? If the parents didnt approve I could understand a restraining order or something along those lines, but putting her in a foster home? that seems to be a bit of an enormous solution to a very small problem. Is that order not beyond the power that DFCS posseses?

comments will be greatly appreciated

thank you

ceara19

This question is regarding the boundries of DFCS by law in Georgia. I'm 17 years old and I have a girlfriend who is 15. She's at my house all of the time, sometimes leaves, sometimes stays all night. We both have consent from our legal guardians to do so. Randomly one day DFCS shows up at the school for my girlfriend. Knowing my girlfriend is a bit outspoken I figure someone that has nothing to do with anything heard my girlfriend talking about our relationship and found it inappropriate and called DFCS.

So to the point, DFCS gives my girlfriend only one major guideline to follow: no spending the night at your boyfriend's house or we will put you in a foster home.

WTF?

This seems completely outragious. I think they might just be trying to scare my girlfriend. Ive never heard of any kind of law where any person in authority can tell you where you can and can't spend the night (with the exception of parents, or if there's a restraining order involved) Im aware it is technically a misdemeanor for us to engage in intercourse, but for her to just stay over? Is this truly lawful? If the parents didnt approve I could understand a restraining order or something along those lines, but putting her in a foster home? that seems to be a bit of an enormous solution to a very small problem. Is that order not beyond the power that DFCS posseses?

comments will be greatly appreciated

thank you
DFCS has the power to do exactly what they have threatened. No, it's not illegal for her to just "spend the night". However, it IS inappropriate and can easily lead to a criminal act. It doesn't matter if the parents are okay with it. They can't give the 2 of you permission to break the law. The solution to the problem is to STOP spending the night with each other.

-cody-

DFCS has the power to do exactly what they have threatened. No, it's not illegal for her to just "spend the night". However, it IS inappropriate and can easily lead to a criminal act. It doesn't matter if the parents are okay with it. They can't give the 2 of you permission to break the law. The solution to the problem is to STOP spending the night with each other.
Im sorry but your argument seems lame, just as DFCS's argument is. You're contradicting yourself. First you say they have the power to remove her from her parents control, but it's common knowledge that defax can only remove a child from their parent's custody under a very strict definition of whether the child is "deprived" or not. In this case they would make the argument of the child is a juvenile or is being unruly, but she is guilty of neither. I never said we were having sex, thats what you assumed. Thats what DFCS assumed. But it's very hard for me to believe that DFCS can rip a child away from the home they've known all their life because of an assumption that theres a possibility that the very LEGAL act they are commiting could possibly lead to a crime, after all like you said her spending the night is nothing illegal. You and DFCS might be determined to believe that we are having sex, but youre gonna have one hell of a time proving it. I dont see kids getting in trouble for simply walking into a store because they could potentially steal something and commit a crime as a result of being exposed to that atmosphere. Its pretty damn rediculous. If this were a truly valid statement by DFCS then about 87% of all girls between 14 and 17 should belong in a foster home for spending too much time with their boyfriends. You can claim DFCS has the right to make such a harsh punishment for such a small offense that cant even be proven happened in the first place, but ill bet my life my girlfriend's not going to realistically end up in a foster home for spending too much time with me.
Threaten all you want, but Im not quite as gullable as my girlfriend.

ceara19

Im sorry but your argument seems lame, just as DFCS's argument is. You're contradicting yourself. First you say they have the power to remove her from her parents control, but it's common knowledge that defax can only remove a child from their parent's custody under a very strict definition of whether the child is "deprived" or not. In this case they would make the argument of the child is a juvenile or is being unruly, but she is guilty of neither. I never said we were having sex, thats what you assumed. Thats what DFCS assumed. But it's very hard for me to believe that DFCS can rip a child away from the home they've known all their life because of an assumption that theres a possibility that the very LEGAL act they are commiting could possibly lead to a crime, after all like you said her spending the night is nothing illegal. You and DFCS might be determined to believe that we are having sex, but youre gonna have one hell of a time proving it. I dont see kids getting in trouble for simply walking into a store because they could potentially steal something and commit a crime as a result of being exposed to that atmosphere. Its pretty damn rediculous. If this were a truly valid statement by DFCS then about 87% of all girls between 14 and 17 should belong in a foster home for spending too much time with their boyfriends. You can claim DFCS has the right to make such a harsh punishment for such a small offense that cant even be proven happened in the first place, but ill bet my life my girlfriend's not going to realistically end up in a foster home for spending too much time with me.
Threaten all you want, but Im not quite as gullable as my girlfriend.
Personally, I couldn't care less WHAT happens. You asked if DFCS was acting within the law and they ARE. Removing her from the home for the reasons stated would also be lawful. Believe or don't believe, it makes no difference to ME. However, YOUR opinion on the matter makes no difference either, as her PARENTS will be the ones deciding whether or not to heed the warning they have been given. Although, considering that they don't care if their 15 year old daughter is practically shacking up with her boyfriend, I doubt that they will suddenly become good parents now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">