• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DFCS and my child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angiecarley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

DFCS took my 3 y/o son yesterday, because he was found in the highway, 4 houses down.
I am a good mother. I dont drink or do drugs, but I am disabled and cant keep up with him as well as they would like me to.
He had a spell where he was running down toward the highway about 8 months ago, but he just stopped and I thought he was over it.
I know I will get him back. My hearing unfortunately is not until Tuesday.
What I am concerned about is what legal rights dfcs has over my son.
I understand that they need to have him checked out by a doctor. I dont mind that. He is incredibly healthy. But I have choosen not to immunize after quite a bit of researching on the subject. I have a strong immunity and I know he does too.

My question is do they have the right to give him medicines or vaccines if they feel it is in his best interest?
I need some peace of mind here. I have heard some horror stories about how much control they have once he is in their custody.

Thank you
Angela Carley

ErinGoBragh

Sadly, you don't seem to realize the full impact of what you did.

He was found- in your own words- in the highway. And you KNEW that this had happened before. Not only that, you let it happen, at least twice from what you said. I don't care what your disability is, if you can't watch your son, or afford to hire someone to watch him for you, you don't deserve to have him in your care because it is apparently insufficient and one of these days he may very well wind up dead.

DCFS has the right to go through the courts to obtain custody of your son and place him a safe home. They have the right to have him evaluated by doctors and therapists, and to keep him away from you, since you seem to be an unfit parent.

They also have the right to petition the courts, and may be granted if the judge allows, the immunization of your son, and probably will do so if he is going to be placed in a foster home with other children. Since you don't seem to realize it, all of this will be for his own good and keep him from getting sick.

Seriously, your son could have been killed and you're worried about his IMMUNIZATION? What's wrong with you!? And just because you think that you have a strong immunity doesn't mean your son does!

And additionally, where is the father in all of this mess?!

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

DFCS took my 3 y/o son yesterday, because he was found in the highway, 4 houses down.
I am a good mother. I dont drink or do drugs, but I am disabled and cant keep up with him as well as they would like me to.
He had a spell where he was running down toward the highway about 8 months ago, but he just stopped and I thought he was over it.
I know I will get him back. My hearing unfortunately is not until Tuesday.
I'm not certain you should be too sure of that. It's not a matter of being unable to keep up with him how "they" would like you to - it's a matter of being able to keep up with him/keep him safe the way HE needs you to. Because this is an issue for you, you should give serious thought over the next few days as to what you intend to do to ensure that he has the proper supervision - a plan that you can bring to court.

angiecarley

I am sorry you jumped to the conclusion that I am a bad mother. The judge didnt seem to think so. He said that DFCS had made an error in taking my son, when it was just a matter of getting sufficient locks on the doors.
you people are not very nice.
this is a legal forum. I asked a question about the powers of DFCS. How dare you incinuate that I am not concerned that my son almost got killed. You like to harrass people like me and call me names to make yourself feel better. the impression I get is that you were a horrible parent, so you need to point your ugly finger at others.

I am a very good mother. I bake, I sew, I garden. I am with my son everyday, all day. **** happens. Until you know all the details I would recommend that you keep your personal opinions to yourself.

Yertle8

Posters respond based on the facts that YOU provide. Obviously the judge was provided a different set of facts or a more complete set of facts that, if they had been presented here, would have probably prompted a different response.

Your first post pretty much says three things:

1. My son was running in the highway and dfcs took him away
2. I am a good mom
3. Can they vaccinate him while in their care?

I bet the judge got more than that.

angiecarley

This is my story

My name is Angela Carley. The date is 31 August 2008.
3 days ago my son was taken into protective custody after he was found alone on a busy highway. And after it was learned that he had a history of running away.
This is my testimony to assure the courts that I have done and will do, everything in my power to keep this from happening again.
First off, let me express my gratitude for this whole situation. I didn’t know I had my head in the clouds. My son is such a responsible and independent little guy, sometimes I take that for granted. I am grateful for the opportunity at a second chance. I don’t think I could survive the loss of my son. Thank you to the lady in the Hummer (I’m sorry, I forgot your name) for being a good driver and good soul and saving my son’s life. This whole experience is a lesson much needed, and will not be forgotten by either of us, I’m sure.

I have tried to make the best of his absence, and kept busy to ease my pain.

I have installed locks on both exit doors that are of my own invention, since I could find nothing suitable on the market. They are hook& latch like on a gate. There is a pull cord on the other side of the door, so it is operable from either side. And the best part is, its spring loaded, so it locks every time the door closes. He wont be going outside without an adult for at least a couple more years.

So that I can keep a better eye on him, I have purchased a TV and DVD player for the upstairs living room. He usually watches in the downstairs living room.

Other than that, I don’t know how I can make his life safer. We spend a good bit of time outside everyday. I started gardening cuz we were out there so much, and now it is my passion. I know you probably think I am exaggerating, but George has never left the property when someone is outside with him. (except he takes a turn around the mailbox to get from the driveway to the yard and vice versa rather than taking the stairs, but he doesn’t go out in the road. Even when all the kids are playing across the street, he will stand just off the road and watch them, and sometimes ask me to take him over. but most of the kids in our neighborhood like to play in our yard most of the time.
That’s why this came a such a shock., I never thought he would leave the yard. He hadn’t don’t that in a very long time.
The day in question, he was upset because Grandpa Don took my van. He was so upset, I think he knew it was never coming back. Grandma and I were taking him to get his hair cut, but he wouldn’t stop saying that he wanted to find Grandpa and the van, and he wanted to give Grandpa a ticket. We turned around and came back home. He was in a state so I put him in his room with some milk. He was quiet from the start. Half an hour passed. I thought he was asleep. But when I went to check, he asked very nicely, if he could watch TV. So I took him down, and turned on his favorite Blues Clues, but I neglected to lock the door, mostly because I thought Mom was still there. I didn’t know that she went out again.

He must have snuck out right away, cuz around 20-30 minutes later he came home with a police man.

Apparently that policeman said that I showed no concern when I was informed that my son was found in the highway. I don’t know what sort of reaction would have satisfied him, but he sure was trying to get a reaction out of me. When he repeated the words that were ripping out my heart for the fourth time, I looked him in the eye and told him that I understood. That’s probably not the reaction he likes to see.
I was in shock. I just kept looking at my little boy, knowing that I could have just lost him. Perhaps they were expecting me to scold George or give him a spanking. I don’t know. George was enjoying the 3 ring circus, nothing I said to him was registering. That’s a private thing anyhow. I would never scold him in front of so many people.

George is a good boy. I’m sure his character will speak for me. But I would like to mention a few things that make me a good mom.

I have dedicated the last 4 years to raising him. And although before he came, I didn’t drink much (as compared to my wild youth) I never drank again after he was born.
I have a new life now. I garden. I sew. I make my own yogurt. We eat organic and one day I will grow most of it myself. We have a good life.
George went thru a phase about a year ago, where he would go exploring without telling anyone. I would be working in the garden or something while he played quietly. He would just walk away. The furthest we ever found him was probably the same distance as the incident in question (200 yards) but he went through some back yards and was found in the cul-de-sac of the next street.
We all started watching him especially well and I installed a lock on the downstairs door that I fashioned myself that could be operated from either side. But George never wandered off again. In fact he would never even leave the yard, even when all the neighborhood kids where out.
I truly believe that this incident was an isolated one. Not at all related to his previous wanderings. He was adamant about finding Grandpa. I will take him more seriously next time.

seniorjudge

3 days ago my son was taken into protective custody after he was found alone on a busy highway. And after it was learned that he had a history of running away.
The statement above contradicts the statement below.
I truly believe that this incident was an isolated one.

angiecarley

The statement above contradicts the statement below.
He was taken because it was learned that he had a history. I personally believe that the recent incident had no relation to his past wanderings. Is that better?

I didnt understand the second quote about mastery of language. must have been for someone else.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My name is Angela Carley. The date is 31 August 2008.
This is my testimony to assure the courts that I have done and will do, everything in my power to keep this from happening again.
First off, let me express my gratitude for this whole situation. I didn’t know I had my head in the clouds. My son is such a responsible and independent little guy, sometimes I take that for granted. I am grateful for the opportunity at a second chance. I don’t think I could survive the loss of my son. Thank you to the lady in the Hummer (I’m sorry, I forgot your name) for being a good driver and good soul and saving my son’s life. This whole experience is a lesson much needed, and will not be forgotten by either of us, I’m sure.

I have tried to make the best of his absence, and kept busy to ease my pain.

I have installed locks on both exit doors that are of my own invention, since I could find nothing suitable on the market. They are hook& latch like on a gate. There is a pull cord on the other side of the door, so it is operable from either side. And the best part is, its spring loaded, so it locks every time the door closes. He wont be going outside without an adult for at least a couple more years.

So that I can keep a better eye on him, I have purchased a TV and DVD player for the upstairs living room. He usually watches in the downstairs living room.

Other than that, I don’t know how I can make his life safer. We spend a good bit of time outside everyday. I started gardening cuz we were out there so much, and now it is my passion. I know you probably think I am exaggerating, but George has never left the property when someone is outside with him. (except he takes a turn around the mailbox to get from the driveway to the yard and vice versa rather than taking the stairs, but he doesn’t go out in the road. Even when all the kids are playing across the street, he will stand just off the road and watch them, and sometimes ask me to take him over. but most of the kids in our neighborhood like to play in our yard most of the time.
That’s why this came a such a shock., I never thought he would leave the yard. He hadn’t don’t that in a very long time.
The day in question, he was upset because Grandpa Don took my van. He was so upset, I think he knew it was never coming back. Grandma and I were taking him to get his hair cut, but he wouldn’t stop saying that he wanted to find Grandpa and the van, and he wanted to give Grandpa a ticket. We turned around and came back home. He was in a state so I put him in his room with some milk. He was quiet from the start. Half an hour passed. I thought he was asleep. But when I went to check, he asked very nicely, if he could watch TV. So I took him down, and turned on his favorite Blues Clues, but I neglected to lock the door, mostly because I thought Mom was still there. I didn’t know that she went out again.

He must have snuck out right away, cuz around 20-30 minutes later he came home with a police man.

Apparently that policeman said that I showed no concern when I was informed that my son was found in the highway. I don’t know what sort of reaction would have satisfied him, but he sure was trying to get a reaction out of me. When he repeated the words that were ripping out my heart for the fourth time, I looked him in the eye and told him that I understood. That’s probably not the reaction he likes to see.
I was in shock. I just kept looking at my little boy, knowing that I could have just lost him. Perhaps they were expecting me to scold George or give him a spanking. I don’t know. George was enjoying the 3 ring circus, nothing I said to him was registering. That’s a private thing anyhow. I would never scold him in front of so many people.

George is a good boy. I’m sure his character will speak for me. But I would like to mention a few things that make me a good mom.

I have dedicated the last 4 years to raising him. And although before he came, I didn’t drink much (as compared to my wild youth) I never drank again after he was born.
I have a new life now. I garden. I sew. I make my own yogurt. We eat organic and one day I will grow most of it myself. We have a good life.
George went thru a phase about a year ago, where he would go exploring without telling anyone. I would be working in the garden or something while he played quietly. He would just walk away. The furthest we ever found him was probably the same distance as the incident in question (200 yards) but he went through some back yards and was found in the cul-de-sac of the next street.
We all started watching him especially well and I installed a lock on the downstairs door that I fashioned myself that could be operated from either side. But George never wandered off again. In fact he would never even leave the yard, even when all the neighborhood kids where out.
I truly believe that this incident was an isolated one. Not at all related to his previous wanderings. He was adamant about finding Grandpa. I will take him more seriously next time.
Why would this be posted here?
Honestly, I hope the court doesn't buy it...I sure don't.

angiecarley

Why would this be posted here?
Honestly, I hope the court doesn't buy it...I sure don't.

this is posted here because it was mentioned that I wasnt giving all the information, all the info that the judge got. I wrote this to rehearse what I could bring up in court. I spoke directly in court. The judge insinuated that DFCS had made an error. And he ordered that I was not responsible to fulfill the long list of follow-up requirements like a psych eval, home inspections, parenting classes, etc.
What is it you dont buy?
You are obviously not a very honest person or you wouldnt be so quick to jump on me as a liar.

ErinGoBragh

I stand by my original reply.
And for the record, it broke the news today researchers ruled out the possibility of the measles vaccine being related to autism.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
this is posted here because it was mentioned that I wasnt giving all the information, all the info that the judge got. I wrote this to rehearse what I could bring up in court. I spoke directly in court. The judge insinuated that DFCS had made an error. And he ordered that I was not responsible to fulfill the long list of follow-up requirements like a psych eval, home inspections, parenting classes, etc.
What is it you dont buy?
You are obviously not a very honest person or you wouldnt be so quick to jump on me as a liar.
Could you have made any less sense?

Just Blue

He was taken because it was learned that he had a history. I personally believe that the recent incident had no relation to his past wanderings. Is that better?

I didnt understand the second quote about mastery of language. must have been for someone else.
Your "personal belief" is idiotic. Hopefully the courts will agree and keep you away from this child before your negligence kills him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">