• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In dire need of advice regarding multiple charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prettyscrewed

Because it's a lengthy read, I'll make very clear here: This takes place in Manatee County, Florida and Santa Clara County, California. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but I was a juvinile when this avalanche of **** began collecting momentum, and was charged as a minor for the domestic battery.

Before anything else, I want to say that I've long accepted that I've dug a deep pit that's going to take a long time, lots of work, and probably considerable funds to get out of, and the only thing I'm certian about is that I WILL have to eventually face the music. I registered here after searching as thuroughly as I could and not finding any information specific enough to give me any peace of mind regarding my situation.

I'll start at the begining.

A few weeks prior thanksgiving '05, when I was seventeen I clocked my (recently aquired) stepfather in the jaw, and was arrested on charges of domestic battery. Although his jaw was broken, and in manatee county I'm told that can warrent a felony, I was charged with a midemenour.

I was retained in the JDC until my first court date, the next morning I was taken by van to juvinile court where my mother and stepfather failed to show. I was told I'd be released to my mother's custody. As far as I understand this was unlawful as per the 30 day no contact order issued in all cases of domestic battery in manatee county.

The next day my mother came around to picking me up from juvy. I confronted her verbaly regarding her untimliness and neglect to appear at my court date. Her husband decided once I got home that he wasn't comfortable with me being there, and they took care of the situation by calling the police again.

My previous arresting officer arrived and achknowledged that I should not be staying in the house, so I phoned my old room mate and went back to my apartment.

A few weeks later I had another court date, my arraignment. I pleaded guilty, and was once again released until my next court date.

I was il advised, and made the poor decision to skip out on the court date for reasons that are irrelivant.

I flew to San Jose under the impression that if I layed low until I was ninteen that under the statute of limitations my bench warrent in Florida for missing the court date would simply go away along with the criminal charges as I was charged as a minor. (this was the bad advice)

Since then, in san jose, I was pulled over by local officers while driving friends home late at night for parking incorrectly. I was followed for about eight miles before they finaly turned on the lights when I parked to drop off this friend. I was driving the person I was staying with in san jose's car as I was the only person who hadn't been drinking that evening. Unbenounced to me, the person I'd been living with had an open (empty) can of been in the car. The officer saw this and wrote me a ticket for the open container that had a court date on it aswell. I am curious as to the legality of the discovery of the can, as I drove 100% legaly. It should also be noted that I do not have a california driver's licence, but a florida one.

To make matters worse, in my desperate monitary situation I was reduced to stealing sandwiches from a local store to eat. I was eventually arrested for this aswell. Another ticket. Another court date.

I have since left california out of panic.

Further information that might be helpful in advising me: the officer that pulled me over took down my address as my parent's home's address in florida, as that's what's on my driver's licence. The officers that arrested me on the petty theft charges took down my address as the one where I was staying in San Jose. The petty theft notice states that I had to go to the police station to be booked. Does this mean that my arrest was not final and that the statute of limitations may still apply to that specific charge?

I'm not asking for a loophole, as I'm sure that there is no single one at this point that could get me out of the fryer, but rather for advice as to what would be the most painless and inexpensive way to go about remedying these mistakes, and information on what to expect when the **** finally does hit the fan.

I'm in serious need of advice, and any information would be of a great help in these many decisions I have to make in the near future.

The Occultist

Statute of Limitations does not mean you can lay low, and no matter how long you lay low doesn't matter. Statute of Limitations refers to the amount of time within which charges must be brought to you. Charges have already been brought, so Statute of Limitations is completely irrelevant.

outonbail

It sounds to me like your biggest troubles are your failure to follow through with your obligations to go to court and get your hands slapped.

If you didn't leave Florida you probably would have received probation, maybe some community service, an anger management class and a small fine as well.

As far as the open container ticket, I believe you could have simply accepted guilt and mailed the court your money for whatever the maximum amount is for the charge. That is if you didn't want to bother appearing before the Judge to explain your situation and show your sincere state of remorse. Which would have in all probability, provided you with a reduced fine and payment arrangement for the amount, if you couldn't pay it all at once.
I'm assuming you were at legal age to be drinking alcohol?

The shoplifting charge is a little more serious but probably not enough to land you behind bars.

By not showing up to answer to all these rather petty charges, you have allowed them to snowball into an added FTA charge on each case.

However, if you were to grow a set of man things and do what you should have done to begin with, you can still probably get away with informal probation in all cases.
That is, if you turn yourself in and take care of everything.

It is always best to have some $$$ on hand to pay some of the fine immediately and make arrangements with the clerk of the court for paying off the balance. You will probably have to perform some community service as well.

But, these things are not going to go away and will not look very good if your picked up again. This can result in OR being denied in the future, when, if it weren't for these failures to follow through and appear in court when scheduled, you would ordinarily be released on your signature alone. So in the future, you can expect the courts to set a bail amount for your release, to see if that gets you to come to court when your supposed to.

If you turn yourself in you will at least have the opportunity to do it at a time which may be more convenient to you, where as the other way around, by waiting until the police bring you in, you never know when it's going to happen.

So avoiding these problems by not going to court to resolve them, is only a matter of postponing the inevitable. Because sooner or later, you will need a job or schooling or want to travel abroad and these charges will have a hold on your freedom and ability to take advantage of your future opportunities, which is to allow these minor offenses to continue to cause you additional damages above and beyond what little effect they would have had on your life if you hadn't ran away from them from the start.

CdwJava

You have CA and FL charges pending. Whether a warrant issues in CA depends on what they ultimately decide to do about it. If you were 17 here (in CA) then they may not decide to seek a warrant outside Santa Clara County.

Your big problem seems to running from responsibility. How long do you think you can do this? Go somewhere, have a good time, get in trouble, then bail ...

You're in for a pretty gypsy-like existence! Not to mention extreme paranoia as you look over your shoulder forever.

Heck, you have managed to turn a pair of nothing cases into something that might haunt you for the rest of your life - at least until you 'man up' and face them.

Right now you are a fugitive from FL. If there is a warrant seeking extradition, you will go back there some day in handcuffs. If there is no warrant, then it will always be waiting for you back at home (no SOL as it won't expire). And some day you will seek a government supported loan or aid and you will find yourself ineligible due to the warrant ... then what?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">