• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a law that fits this exist in Washington State?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SkinnyKidCTL

What is the name of your state? Wahington.

I recently transferred as a "lateral" from a large metropolitan Police department Arizona to a very small municipal Police department in Washington State. I have been a sworn law enforcement officer for almost ten years now.

In AZ we used to charge people with a crime titled "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor" (a class 2 misdemeanor).
This statute covered, not only providing minors with alcohol or tobacco, but also behavior such as; an adult driving a minor around who had snuck out of the home without parental consent, an adult consorting with a minor who is inexcusably skipping school, etc. (Pretty much exactly what the title said... contributing to their delinquency.)
An Officer I work with here in Washington who's been a cop for "almost a year" (his answer if you were to ask him how long he's been on the job) said Washington State Law has no such prohibition.
Is he right? I did a search for RCW's with the word "minor" in them and read through about 400 of the 1100 Internet hits with no success in finding anything.
(I also searched through ARS for comparison and couldn't find the law we used to charge with there either.)

My question is:
Does the Revised Code of Washington define a crime for which I can arrest a 21-year-old man who picks up a 13-year-old girl and a couple of her friends and takes them cruising around town during school hours without the permission of their parents?

BL

What is the name of your state? Wahington.

I recently transferred as a "lateral" from a large metropolitan Police department Arizona to a very small municipal Police department in Washington State. I have been a sworn law enforcement officer for almost ten years now.

In AZ we used to charge people with a crime titled "Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor" (a class 2 misdemeanor).
This statute covered, not only providing minors with alcohol or tobacco, but also behavior such as; an adult driving a minor around who had snuck out of the home without parental consent, an adult consorting with a minor who is inexcusably skipping school, etc. (Pretty much exactly what the title said... contributing to their delinquency.)
An Officer I work with here in Washington who's been a cop for "almost a year" (his answer if you were to ask him how long he's been on the job) said Washington State Law has no such prohibition.
Is he right? I did a search for RCW's with the word "minor" in them and read through about 400 of the 1100 Internet hits with no success in finding anything.
(I also searched through ARS for comparison and couldn't find the law we used to charge with there either.)

My question is:
Does the Revised Code of Washington define a crime for which I can arrest a 21-year-old man who picks up a 13-year-old girl and a couple of her friends and takes them cruising around town during school hours without the permission of their parents?
Why don't you ask your superior ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">