• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does my underage citation still matter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmcp247

I got an underage drinking citation two years ago when I was in college in PA (I was 19 at the time). I plead guilty (or no contest, I can't remember), paid a fine and had my driver's license suspended for 3 months I think. I have a few questions about this. One, will this show up on my record, for example, if an employer does a background check? Two, when job applications ask me if I've been convicted of anything, do I say yes or no? Three, because I plead guilty and paid my fine and am also currently 21, is my record sealed, expunged, etc (this goes along with question 2, about informing employers about the citation)? Lastly, I didn't have a driver's license at the time of the incident but that 3 month period is up. Will this citation affect my chances of getting a driver's permit and/or license in the furture (I will be applying for a license in PA, if that matters)? Advice is much needed. Thank you.

xylene

I got an underage drinking citation two years ago when I was in college in PA (I was 19 at the time). I plead guilty (or no contest, I can't remember), paid a fine and had my driver's license suspended for 3 months I think. I have a few questions about this.
Run your own background. Pull the info from the court. 2 years ago is too close to just 'forget' what you did. Was it a misdemeanor what were the EXACT charges (section etc...)??? :confused:

One, will this show up on my record, for example, if an employer does a background check?
Probably, if a detailed check. Is it disqualifying? Maybe, probably not as draconian alcohol laws mean many college graduates have similar 'blemishes'. If you fail to get a job don't fall into the trap of blaming your record.

Two, when job applications ask me if I've been convicted of anything, do I say yes or no?
It is never a good policy to lie, but you may omit information they have not asked for. ;)

Three, because I plead guilty and paid my fine and am also currently 21, is my record sealed, expunged, etc (this goes along with question 2, about informing employers about the citation)?
This crime did not occur when you where a juvenile so their is no seal. You could speak with a lawyer about expunging your record. The value of this given the minor offense? You decide.

Lastly, I didn't have a driver's license at the time of the incident but that 3 month period is up. Will this citation affect my chances of getting a driver's permit and/or license in the furture (I will be applying for a license in PA, if that matters)?
No, It should not, as your license was suspended and not revoked. Revocations may involve paying a reinstatement fee. This would apply even if you did not have a drivers license. You penalty was only a suspension, for which the time has passed.

The best way to be sure is to apply for your learners permit. Allow substantial time for the process to get your full license.

tmcp247

I think I'm ok (maybe)

I just found the ticket from the incident-it happened 09/19/04 and the charge was 'Purchase, comsumption, possession, or transportation of liquor or malt beverages'. I plead guilty and paid a fine. I looked up PA law and saw that this was a summary offense and that it didn't show up in background checks because it wasn't a 'fingerprintable offense'. Is this true and if so, does that mean I really don't have to check yes if an employer asks if I was convicted of a misdemeanor?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">