• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driving questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnny20032323

What is the name of your state? California

These questions are for educational purposes only and I'm just curious, I am not going to partake in any illegal activity that may be brought up in this thread.

I'm 17 and I just got my license a few months ago, meaning it's provisional. This means I cannot legally drive with anyone under the age of 20 in the car. Now, if I did do this and got caught, what would the penalty be? Is it likely I'd be let off with just a warning? Can the police pull me over just for looking like I'm under 18 (which I really don't). What are the chances that they would do this?

Also, if a person waits until they are 18 to get their license, how do they go about getting it? Do they need to take classes or do behind the wheel, or what? This is assuming they never got a permit or anything like that. Do they have to take a written test as well as an actual driving test? Also, is there any waiting period before they can drive with minors in the car or is it as soon as they get their license, they're ok to do it?

Let me know. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

CdwJava

johnny20032323 said:
I'm 17 and I just got my license a few months ago, meaning it's provisional. This means I cannot legally drive with anyone under the age of 20 in the car. Now, if I did do this and got caught, what would the penalty be? Is it likely I'd be let off with just a warning? Can the police pull me over just for looking like I'm under 18 (which I really don't). What are the chances that they would do this?
Unless they know you and can confirm your license is provisional before the stop, they woul dhave to have some other cause to pull you over.

Also, if a person waits until they are 18 to get their license, how do they go about getting it? Do they need to take classes or do behind the wheel, or what?
Contact the DMV or go to their website:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov

- Carl

CdwJava

johnny20032323 said:
Ok. Would you happen to know the penalty if someone was to get caught?
One of the following:

- Not less than eight hours nor more than 16 hours of community
service for a first offense and not less than 16 hours nor more than
24 hours of community service for a second or subsequent offense.

- A fine of not more than thirty-five dollars ($35) for a first
offense and a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50) for a second
or subsequent offense.

- Carl

CdwJava

johnny20032323 said:
Oh wow, that's it?

So they can't take my license or anything?
Well ... there's always that nasty little point violation (and expensive fine) on the original violation for which you were stopped. these can quickly add up to a suspension.

- Carl

johnny20032323

Well I mean if I were to get caught once, I wouldn't do it again. I'm a very safe and careful driver so I don't think I'd have any other problems.

Thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">