• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug Testing in Washington State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilacview2000

What is the name of your state? Washington State

This morning during a routine physical, I asked the doctor to include a drug screen in the other blood tests of my 15 1/2 year old daughter. I was informed that this could only done with the permission of the child. In addition, I was informed that should my child give consent, by law, I am not entitled to the results of the test and my child is the ony one the results can be given to. In order for me to obtain the results, my child would have to sign a release allowing me to see them! This lovely information was given to me IN FRONT of my child, who, of course refused the test!
Yes, in my book, no test = positive and I am figuring out my next move (if the law allows me one) but I am appalled that I am responsible for her actions and yet, my means of being a responsible parent have been taken away. Not to mention how much my daughter enjoyed seeing my authority eroded.
My question is this. Is this law common? Is this just WA State? I checked laws and, sure enough, the doctor was right. After age 13, the kids hold the cards!

seniorjudge

lilacview2000 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington State

This morning during a routine physical, I asked the doctor to include a drug screen in the other blood tests of my 15 1/2 year old daughter. I was informed that this could only done with the permission of the child. In addition, I was informed that should my child give consent, by law, I am not entitled to the results of the test and my child is the ony one the results can be given to. In order for me to obtain the results, my child would have to sign a release allowing me to see them! This lovely information was given to me IN FRONT of my child, who, of course refused the test!
Yes, in my book, no test = positive and I am figuring out my next move (if the law allows me one) but I am appalled that I am responsible for her actions and yet, my means of being a responsible parent have been taken away. Not to mention how much my daughter enjoyed seeing my authority eroded.
My question is this. Is this law common? Is this just WA State? I checked laws and, sure enough, the doctor was right. After age 13, the kids hold the cards!

Q: Is this law common?

A: Sure. A kid that age is allowed to kill her own baby, so why should she have to ask your permission for a drug test?

averad

I beleave its federal law. Young adults ( 13+) have to sign a disclosure of private information to release any medical inforamtion to a parent. I.E diagnosis information mental health records etc.

weenor

Get on line and order a urine test...tell sweet cheeks she has to take now or she'll never see the keys to the car. ...

seniorjudge

weenor said:
Get on line and order a urine test...tell sweet cheeks she has to take now or she'll never see the keys to the car. ...
...or the iPod or the computer or the cell phone or the landline or the designer clothes...etc.

lilacview2000

Thank you all for your replies. Dad came home early and we went directly from school to a drug testing place. The idea of life without the perks proved too much to handle! Anyway, the test was completely clean. She said she was being stubborn as a matter of principle.

Of course this is one time I am happy to be wrong, but I have decided I had better learn what all the "new" paramators are.

I certainly wouldn't want to infringe upon a 13 year old's right to keep their drug use to themselves! How illogical that would be! Better to deal with it when they have OD'd or are in jail for robbing the local liquor store!

Who makes these ridiculous laws??????? Do they live in the same world I do??

These laws vary state by state. They came from dads impregnating their daughters and from, and I have experienced this, parents trying to lock their normal children in psychiatric hospitals because they disagreed with a request.

There needs to be safeguards while allowing the vast majority of good parents to parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">