• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipated (No sob story)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ACortes

I'm from California. I'm 16, 17 in 4 months. I am looking to get emancipated soon. I am taking the Chspe which will allow me to graduate early with my parent's consent and me and my parent both agree it's in my best interest to get emancipated. I'm currently interviewing for jobs so I can buy a car. I've decided to move to Oregon and my parent supports my decision. Our relationship isn't strained at all she just can't provide for me or my sisters seeing as how she doesn't have a job. Do I have grounds to get emancipated and if so, when I move to Oregon is the emancipation valid there too?

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I'm from California. I'm 16, 17 in 4 months. I am looking to get emancipated soon. I am taking the Chspe which will allow me to graduate early with my parent's consent and me and my parent both agree it's in my best interest to get emancipated. I'm currently interviewing for jobs so I can buy a car. I've decided to move to Oregon and my parent supports my decision. Our relationship isn't strained at all she just can't provide for me or my sisters seeing as how she doesn't have a job. Do I have grounds to get emancipated and if so, when I move to Oregon is the emancipation valid there too?
This doesn't really make sense. How is it in your best interest to be emancipated? You'd have to have a job and pay for your own things. How is living with your mother as an unemancipated minor preventing you from doing that?

ACortes

Because I have to ask her for rides to job interviews, I have to get a ride to get to the job, I need the money and the transportation to and from the driver's training. If I was emancipated I'd be able to get my normal license and she'd let me borrow the car.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
ACortes said:
Because I have to ask her for rides to job interviews, I have to get a ride to get to the job, I need the money and the transportation to and from the driver's training. If I was emancipated I'd be able to get my normal license and she'd let me borrow the car.
It still doesn't really make sense. Emancipation isn't required to get a license. Emancipation isn't going to magically create a way to get to job interviews.

To just shortcut this, you need to understand that the purpose of emancipation isn't so that a minor may achieve a desired lifestyle. Rather, it's to accommodate unusual circumstances beyond a minor's control which create an unavoidable necessity. Your circumstances don't appear to fit the criteria.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You do not need to be emancipated to buy a car. You do not need to be emancipated to get a job. If you have your parents' permission, you do not even have to be emancipated to move to Oregon.

You may find that a landlord will not rent to a teenager, and he cannot be required to. However, that would be the case even if you were emancipated; he can still decline to rent to you. So I'm not sure what emancipation would do for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">