• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GracieS

I am 16 and I currently live with my aunt and uncle. My father is currently in jail and he has custody of me. I have lived off and on with my aunt for 3 years but I have lived with her for a year straight and currently going on 2 years. My mother has no parental rights over me and she has mental health problems. I want to know what I can do to get emancipated from my dad when I turn 17 in October? I am looking for a job and I will be able to get one soon. I understand that I will have to support myself with no help from my parents. I just need some advice?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In what state are you, Gracie? Whether or not a minor can be emancipated at all, and if so what the requirements are, vary by state.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">