• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation/Contingencies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ColePanell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
Hello, I'm a 16 year old male with a deep history of dysfunction in my household. Recently there was an immediate custody hearing upon which my mother, of whom I have had a number of years of animosity with, took custody against my will, while my father was briefly incarcerated. I have obtained the summons and other paperwork for an emancipation so I may return to my home county and town as I work/ am able to work. However I'm uncertain on how possible it is to get said emancipation, or worse yet, if I fail my home life will become undoubtedly worse and I will need to be out of here for the betterment of my future, so any possible contingencies or plans on how to leave her custody in case this fails would be excellent.

Thank you, CP.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
Hello, I'm a 16 year old male with a deep history of dysfunction in my household. Recently there was an immediate custody hearing upon which my mother, of whom I have had a number of years of animosity with, took custody against my will, while my father was briefly incarcerated. I have obtained the summons and other paperwork for an emancipation so I may return to my home county and town as I work/ am able to work. However I'm uncertain on how possible it is to get said emancipation, or worse yet, if I fail my home life will become undoubtedly worse and I will need to be out of here for the betterment of my future, so any possible contingencies or plans on how to leave her custody in case this fails would be excellent.

Thank you, CP.
If you were able to be Emancipated you would not need to ask this question. :(

In two years you can live where you wish. ;)

ColePanell

If you were able to be Emancipated you would not need to ask this question. :(

In two years you can live where you wish. ;)

I understand this but a great deal of why I need to return home is due to where I wish to be schooled, where I want to live etc, which was compromised very abruptly. I'm doing this because this is what I was told was the best option by my attorney, but it makes sense to me. However any sort of assurance either way is helpful

Just Blue

I understand this but a great deal of why I need to return home is due to where I wish to be schooled, where I want to live etc, which was compromised very abruptly. I'm doing this because this is what I was told was the best option by my attorney, but it makes sense to me. However any sort of assurance either way is helpful
As you, as a minor that believes you can be emancipated, has an attorney we should not advise you. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, the majority of your reasons for not wanting to abide by the court order have nothing to do with you health, safety, or overall welfare, right?

You really sound like you have no reason to be emancipated. I'm surprised that your attorney even gave you this pie-in-the-sky idea. I suspect that your attorney is just somebody you're acquainted with that made a stab in the dark based upon your tale of woe.

ColePanell

So, the majority of your reasons for not wanting to abide by the court order have nothing to do with you health, safety, or overall welfare, right?

You really sound like you have no reason to be emancipated. I'm surprised that your attorney even gave you this pie-in-the-sky idea. I suspect that your attorney is just somebody you're acquainted with that made a stab in the dark based upon your tale of woe.
Oh no it has without a doubt a deal to do with the various problems that have come about from said mother's treatment, mostly psychological and emotional but also at times physical. My attorney is indeed a real one but she is admittedly not the best I could have, but she is doing this pro bono as she's kin to me. This definetly has to do with my welfare though, I was in DHS foster care due to their ways when I was younger, and it appears that each of them as individuals improved but in reality this is not the situatuinb

LdiJ

Oh no it has without a doubt a deal to do with the various problems that have come about from said mother's treatment, mostly psychological and emotional but also at times physical. My attorney is indeed a real one but she is admittedly not the best I could have, but she is doing this pro bono as she's kin to me. This definetly has to do with my welfare though, I was in DHS foster care due to their ways when I was younger, and it appears that each of them as individuals improved but in reality this is not the situatuinb
You are far more likely to end up back in foster care than emancipated.

Just Blue

The "thing" about Emancipation is....You are expected in all ways to support yourself. Including the research how to obtain your need. :)

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How is being "kin" different and distinct from being "acquainted"? Just because she's related, doesn't mean that she's doing any more than stabbing in the dark - especially if this is not the area of law she specializes in.

While we can all agree that you need an education, how are you so sure that you will not have access to one where you are?

Every child that comes on these boards asking about emancipation claims that this is the only way to ensure the "betterment" of their future, with no concrete examples of how the evil adults around them are thwarting them currently. Perhaps because even they know that if they enumerated the horrible obstacles to them achieving their potential, the equally evil adults on this board would laugh. ("I cannot devote the time to become a virtuoso tuba player because they make me do chores. I even have to walk my dog twice a day.")

If there is a real gripe, then perhaps you should be in foster care, or under the guardianship of some "kin".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">