• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation Grounds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmjgl

Darn that pesky parent and his interference.

I applaud your father for charging you rent. Whenever I charged my kids rent I would set it aside in a fund and give it to them when they moved out.
my father is not charging rent. i will be living on my own

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
i supported myself independently for 3 years after leaving my parents house because all custody over me was removed i was given a drivers license and allowed to work a minimum wage job while residing with a roommate
I'm sorry - I call horse-puckies on that one. You were given a license at 12?!?!? I doubt it. Just as I doubt anyone would hire a 6th grader. For enough min wage hours to support oneself. And presumably still going to school.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I'm sorry - I call horse-puckies on that one. You were given a license at 12?!?!? I doubt it. Just as I doubt anyone would hire a 6th grader. For enough min wage hours to support oneself. And presumably still going to school.
And who did have custody over him at the time?

Because if it was the state ... ;)

justalayman

i supported myself independently for 3 years after leaving my parents house because all custody over me was removed i was given a drivers license and allowed to work a minimum wage job while residing with a roommate

You were given a drivers license? What state would that be in?

You were allowed to work beyond the limits imposed upon minors?

It sounds like you were given rights beyond what are endowed even when emancipated yet you never claim to have been emancipated and you somehow have had those rights removed.

Your story is sounding a bit of a fantasy, especially given you are only 15 now and you supported yourself for three years; that means you were no older than 12 years old (and maybe younger depending how long you have lived with your father) when you enjoyed all of these rights.

CdwJava

You received a driver's license? A FULL license? How did THAT come about? There are ways to do that, but I can't see that as possible given the scenario you laid out here.

I suspect you were allowed to remain independent because your legal guardian allowed you to remain where you were and the authorities were not yet involved. Assuming you were truthful and are now 15 you are implying that you were working since age 12 (illegally, or entirely under the table) and it is very likely that more than a few people were breaking the law.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
my father is not charging rent. i will be living on my own
Not, really. You said you'll be living with a friend...

Do i have grounds for emancipation if I am a 15 year old who is capable of supporting myself when given the proper opportunities and rights? My mother has been in prison for drug abuse and is in california. I lived on my own for quite sometime until i gave up my independence rights to live with my father and his new wife who limit my opportunities for personal betterment. Do i have grounds for emancipation if someone vouches that I\'m paying room and board inside of their residence?
i have been allowed to work a job since the age of 13.
Math does not seem to be your strong suit.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Am I the only one wondering if this is another Eastern European trying to see if the plot for his book is plausible?

Could be the grandchild of the 12 and 17 year old from the other thread...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">