• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation Grounds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmjgl

Do i have grounds for emancipation if I am a 15 year old who is capable of supporting myself when given the proper opportunities and rights? My mother has been in prison for drug abuse and is in california. I lived on my own for quite sometime until i gave up my independence rights to live with my father and his new wife who limit my opportunities for personal betterment. Do i have grounds for emancipation if someone vouches that I\'m paying room and board inside of their residence?

Silverplum

Do i have grounds for emancipation if I am a 15 year old who is capable of supporting myself when given the proper opportunities and rights? My mother has been in prison for drug abuse and is in california. I lived on my own for quite sometime until i gave up my independence rights to live with my father and his new wife who limit my opportunities for personal betterment. Do i have grounds for emancipation if someone vouches that I\'m paying room and board inside of their residence?
No.

And US law only.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...until i gave up my independence rights to live with my father and his new wife who limit my opportunities for personal betterment.
Darn that pesky parent and his interference.

Do i have grounds for emancipation if someone vouches that I\'m paying room and board inside of their residence?
I applaud your father for charging you rent. Whenever I charged my kids rent I would set it aside in a fund and give it to them when they moved out.

Silverplum

I applaud your father for charging you rent. Whenever I charged my kids rent I would set it aside in a fund and give it to them when they moved out.
I think it's her tru-luv's family who will "vouch" that she is paying room/board in their house, should she move in. :cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In no US state will a minor be emancipated on the basis of what he will be able to do without parental restrictions. Ever. Under any circumstances whatsoever.

And at 15, you do not have independence "rights". Nor are there any "proper opportunities and rights" that you are granted by law. At 15, your rights are what your parents choose to give you. The law trusts your parents to decide what they are and do not provide you with any under law.

CdwJava

The percentage of children who actually obtain emancipation is miniscule. Living with your dad and wanting to do more than he will allow you to do is NOT grounds for emancipation.

Here is a link to court information on the process in CA.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-emancipation.htm

If you live in some other state, you will have to Google the info for your state. Many states will not entertain the petition at age 15, and many have no legal procedure for this at all. CA is one of the most "liberal" in this regard, and the number of minors that receive emancipation when they have a parent capable of caring for them is somewhere between nil and zilch.

You have no right to "personal betterment" and neither your dad nor the state has any legal requirement to give you the opportunity to live on your own.

cmjgl

rent is not being charged by my father. i am implying that i will be moving out and paying my own rent.

cmjgl

I suspect that is one of the "rights" op believes they will be endowed with upon emancipation.
i supported myself independently for 3 years after leaving my parents house because all custody over me was removed i was given a drivers license and allowed to work a minimum wage job while residing with a roommate

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">