• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miss_maggie

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois. I am 16 years old I will be turning 17 in a few months. I have found out that im 1 and a half months pregnant. My boyfriend is joining the Army National Guard and will be out of state in Boot Camp until Dec. My parents are rock hard christians they don't approve of him and said if they ever found out we had sex they would make it so i could not see him ever again.They do not let me make my own decisions and im forced to beleive what they beleive. When he gets back we would like to move in together until then I have a friend who is 20 years old he goes to college and is a manager of a shoe store who says i can move in with him. I have a job where i make about $650-$750 a month i have a car and a savings of $550 to get started on. Is religion differances and my child enough to get me emancipated? And if so how do I go about doing that?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Emancipation requires (for starters) that you be able to fully support yourself. That includes paying for your own place to live (not with a roommate or at someone else's place), utilities, transportation, insurance, medical care, clothing entertainment, school supplies, etc. $750/mo isn't going to cut it. Courts also look for a certain level of maturity - being a pregnant 16yo pretty well kicks that one out.

Until you're legally an adult, your parents are fully responsible for you. And yeah, they can make it so your b/f doesn't see you until you're an adult.

Happy Trails

miss_maggie said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois. I am 16 years old I will be turning 17 in a few months. I have found out that im 1 and a half months pregnant. My boyfriend is joining the Army National Guard and will be out of state in Boot Camp until Dec. My parents are rock hard christians they don't approve of him and said if they ever found out we had sex they would make it so i could not see him ever again.They do not let me make my own decisions and im forced to beleive what they beleive. When he gets back we would like to move in together until then I have a friend who is 20 years old he goes to college and is a manager of a shoe store who says i can move in with him. I have a job where i make about $650-$750 a month i have a car and a savings of $550 to get started on. Is religion differances and my child enough to get me emancipated? And if so how do I go about doing that?
Since you have not reached the age of consent, you and B /F have given your parents proof that B/F has broken the law in your state.

Wolflmg

I know it will be very, very difficult. But you need to tell your parents, you'll need them. An any good parent, loves their children no matter what. My family's catholic, and my kid sister ended up pregnant, and my parents stock by her. Sadly the boyfriends parents got way to invovled and and it's a heart breaking story, so I wont go into details.

You still a teenager, you make mistakes, bad choices, everyone does. But the way to make up for those mistakes and bad choices, is to owe up to them and tell the truth. It will be better for you and your child in the long run. And yes it will be hard and a long difficult road. But it's the right thing to do. If you feel you are unable to do it alone, have a friend be with you when you tell them or call someone that deals in situations likes, these, for example hear in Michigan we have a place called Birth Right, it's a consouling for teen mothers and unwed mothers, for help concerning their children and what help they can get and if they would like to place their child up for adoption in either a closed or open adoption.

Remember your parents love you no matter what, and even a times they may seem their be unfair, they always have good reason. If it comes down to you are concerned for you child, speak with someone that deals in situations with teen mother's and they will be able to talk to you and your parents.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">