• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yalin Hawk

What is the name of your state? = New Jersey

OK, from the top:

I'm 16, and I've been living with my parents all my life. For as long as I can remember, they've been abusive both physically (throwing me around, pushing me down stairs, throwing me into walls, dumping me out of chairs, punching, hitting, hair pulling to the point of the hair getting ripped out) and mentally (Im reffered to as the '**** up', the 'waste of life', the 'one who's worthless' or who is 'worth less than dirt'. My mom refers to me as her property, and treats me a lot like you would imagine an overseer treats a slave (I know some will say that I'm just being dramatic, but I am being serious here). Multiple adults and friends of mine know about this, and DYFS has been called in twice. Both times, my mother has gone from throwing me around to 'Oh I could never believe why he would do this' to back to throwing me around as soon as the DYFS worker leaves. Ordinarly, someone would say that I should show bruises and get out of that kind of household, however, here's the kicker: I only ever get blows to the head. The only bruise/mark I have on my body from my mother is a scar on my arm from where she dug her fingernail into it, and if someone were to get a magnifying glass and look into my eyes they'd see that my pupils are different sizes from repeated concussions. Everytime DYFS has come by, they've recommended that we go to family counciling and then left without a second thought. I've decided, that now its time I should try and solve my problems for myself. I've done about as much research as I can into emancipation, and have made the big choice: its what I want.

I work at a technology store (for anominity, I'll let you try and figure out if its best buy or circuit city) as a PC Technician (I am A+ PC repair certified, yes, at 16 years old) making $9.25 an hour, roughly 25-30 hours in a normal week. I manage my own bank account, and on a normal day when mom works from 7am-8ish/9ish PM manage to take care of myself and the 12 dogs we have quite well. ( I can cook, clean, do laundry, etc). However, I know that if I would even SUGGEST this idea to my mother I'd be in for a world of headaches. I have been doing some work on this, the emancipation idea, and have a little list on a notepad of assets I could use; friends I could stay with, places I could go, things that I have (clothes, etc) that I would need. I'm just stumped on where to go from here. I dont know the exact legal processes, I dont know where I could go to get help in trying to achieve this, I dont know what my chances are of success, etc, so on. Can anyone give me some helpful intel?

-Thanks soo much in advanced

moburkes

1. I haven't reviewed your state's laws, BUT, even if emancipation is an option, you will need to be self-supporting 100%. You cannot be dependent upon any other person to provide you with food or shelter.

2. Call CPS.

sunshinelolipop

I saw a program on TV a few nights ago (although the event took place in Utah)...it was regarding emancipation for 16 year old girls who were in polygamist families...the 16 year old girls were NOT comfortable being forced into arranged marriages at 16 years old so a woman who had been raised in this scenario took it upon herself to free these girls from their plight. She video taped the girls "running away" to this womans car( as their escape mechanism). It was video taped to show that the girls were not kidnapped and to show the girls did run away willingly. Then this woman found comfy homes for the girls and arranged a court hearing for emancipation. The parents were subpoenaed to attend and the court granted the emancipation and the parents did NOT fight it. I dont know how it would have turned out if the parents HAD fought the emancipation. But the girls were still in school, they did NOT have jobs. So I believe that every emancipation is looked at on an individual basis and also the values of the court judge would weigh heavily on the outcome of the emancipation request...as well as your ability to self-support. Good luck to you ..be strong ...always do the right thing and be proud of yourself...dont rely on others to fill you with pride, pride comes from inside yourself...just be strong enough to find it within you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">