• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation Help, Mn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Samuurah

What is the name of your state?
Minnesota

Im 15 years old and right now im living with my mother and step father and my father is deceased and I have heard that you cannot be emancipatied in minnesota due to laws So i was wondering is there any other way I can live on my own when I become 16 years old

Also I have a friend who was just forced to move to her fathers because she's pregnant and her mother won't be able to afford the new baby and she would also like to be emancipated after she has her baby and turns 16 which is right around the corner
So if someone could help me out because I am not sure of anything but knowing that I need to get out of my house and I have so much more important things to do than argue with my mother day and night I know I have a lot going for me I dance 5 days a week and I chereograph my school's danceline which my mother doesnt know because she didnt want me to do it she stops me from becoming what I want to become Please Help.

seniorjudge

http://www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/emancipation_chart.html

Standard answer on emancipation: get a full time job and support yourself 100%; that will help you prove emancipation.

Thanks to MomOfBoys for the following:

This forum is often visited by teens looking for information on how to become emancipated. It is not a simple process. Here is some info, and the other adults on this forum will contribute by adding/subtracting to the list.

There are only three ways to become emancipated.

You must:

1. Join the military (but you must be 17 to be eligible to join, and there is always the possibility that the military will say no for various reasons.) And, at the age of 17, a minor still needs parental consent to enlist in the armed services.

or

2. Get married. To get married, you need your parents’ permission, although in some states you can get married without your parents’ permission if the female is pregnant or has given birth, which means you take on the expenses not just for yourself, but for a child as well. To be married w/o parental consent, whether pregnant or not, the minor still needs a court order in EVERY state in order to marry.

or

3. Have your parent’s permission. To do this, a parent must tell the court that they no longer wish to have control over the child and are willing to relinquish his/her rights and obligations to the minor, AND the minor must prove to be self-sufficient.

To become emancipated WITHOUT any of the above, the child must be able to prove that either the parent has abandoned the child, OR the parent mistreats the child.

Mistreating does NOT include arguments, discipline, enforcement of rules (curfew, grounding, limited time on computer or cell phones), dictating who the child may associate with, or requiring the child to perform household chores. Mistreating DOES include parental abuse (physical or mental), neglect or failure to support.

When applying for emancipation, the petition needs the following information:
1. The name, address, residence, and date of birth of the minor.
2. The name, address, and current location of each of the minor's parents, if known.
3. The name, date of birth, custody, and location of any children born to the minor.
4. A statement of the minor's character, habits, education, income, and mental capacity for business.
5. A plan for success, i.e., an explanation of how the needs of the minor with respect to food, shelter, clothing, medical care, and other necessities will be met.
6. Whether the minor is a party to or the subject of a pending judicial proceeding.
7. A statement of the reason why the court should grant emancipation.

If the minor does not have the permission of BOTH parents for emancipation, then the parent who has NOT consented must be served with the petition, so to be made aware of the process.

The plan for success must include explanations for how the minor meet the following needs:

1. Shelter (rent AND utilities)
2. Food
3. Clothing
4. Medical Care (securing medical insurance)
5. Transportation
6. Living necessities (toilet paper, toothpaste, soap, shampoo and other “sundries.”)
7. School supplies
8. Furniture

The minor must also consider how s/he will pay for the following non-necessities:
1. Phone (cell and/or land line)
2. Television
3. Entertainment
4. Computer/internet access

When applying for housing, remember that a landlord may be reluctant to rent to a minor despite their emancipation status. In this case, a landlord can protect him/herself by asking the minor to find an adult to co-sign the lease. If any problems occur, the landlord can pursue the adult for the unpaid rent or other problems. So minors may still need an adult to help them secure housing.

Employers are bound by child labor laws, so a minor will not be allowed to work full time at a single job, despite emancipation status, until s/he reaches the age of 18.

Emancipated minors are required to remain in school full time until they reach the age of 18.

If emancipation is granted, the minor will have the status of an adult for purposes of all criminal and civil laws.

And, last but not least, if the state does NOT have statutes or case law allowing for emancipation, it is not an option. You cannot file for emancipation in another state that you may wish to move to once emancipated.

If you do not have parental consent for legal emancipation, the odds of it being granted are nil.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">