• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation laws in tennessee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gp123

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Tennessee
What does it mean that Tennessee doesn't have laws regarding emancipation of a minor? My son (just turned 17) has run away again and refuses to abide by any rules. What can I do to have him emanciapted in the state of tennessee? I love him but I can't control him and I don't want to be responsible for his bad actions. I guess this is called "tough love".
Never thought I would be here.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If there are no emancipation laws in your state, it means you cannot have him emancipated. Sorry.

There may be other options (I'll let someone with more knowledge of your state's laws address them) but even in a state that has a statute for emancipation of a minor, it happens rarely and only when the minor is completely self-supporting.

Happy Trails

cbg said:
If there are no emancipation laws in your state, it means you cannot have him emancipated. Sorry.

There may be other options (I'll let someone with more knowledge of your state's laws address them) but even in a state that has a statute for emancipation of a minor, it happens rarely and only when the minor is completely self-supporting.
I agree with cbg, it is very rare. The below is from the appropriate citations in Tennessee Jurisprudence under Parent and Child § 18, as follows:

§ 18. Generally.--Emancipation may result from an agreement, or it may occur by operation of law, and generally the emancipation of a child leaves the child, as far as the parent is concerned, free to act on the child's own responsibility and in accordance with his own will and pleasure, with the same independence as though he had attained majority. Emancipation of a child may be express, as by voluntary agreement of the parent and child, or implied from such acts and conduct as import consent, and it may be conditional or absolute, complete or partial.......

For more reading go to: http://www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/tennessee.html

Scroll down about 3/4th's and find § 18.

gp123

emancipation of minor in tennessee

Thank you for the information, but the way I read this is that it is up to the parent's discretion in the absence of a statutory provision and need not be evidenced by any formal or record act. Am I reading this right? Does this mean that in a state where there is no law (i.e. Tennessee) concerning this, the parent can make this the decision, and simply needs to make an agreement whether verbal or in writing? Where can I get more information on this?
Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">