• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation In Minnesota

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needsomehelp143

I live in Minnesota and I am looking for information on the emancipation of a minor. I am 17 years old and have been looking for an apartment for my family. None of the apartment managers will let me sign a lease without being emancipated first. I have been calling around to places such as the courthouse here in my city and they have told me that they dont do emancipation of minors in the state of MN. I know that isn't true because I have known people who have gotten emancipated before and I have found many things on the internet about it. The problem is that I dont know how to get started with the process. Both of my guardians agree to it, I have not been living with them for over a year now. Any info on how to get started would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to get very desperate.

Thanks

AlanShore

I live in Minnesota and I am looking for information on the emancipation of a minor. I am 17 years old and have been looking for an apartment for my family. None of the apartment managers will let me sign a lease without being emancipated first. I have been calling around to places such as the courthouse here in my city and they have told me that they dont do emancipation of minors in the state of MN. I know that isn't true because I have known people who have gotten emancipated before and I have found many things on the internet about it. The problem is that I dont know how to get started with the process. Both of my guardians agree to it, I have not been living with them for over a year now. Any info on how to get started would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to get very desperate.

Thanks
Why wouldn't your guardians not sign the lease.....

mommyof4

www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/minnesota.html

The case law states:
Parent and child -- emancipation -- determination.

1. Emancipation is the act of the parent and need not be in writing or in express words. It may be implied from conduct. Whether a child has been emancipated must be determined largely upon the peculiar facts and circumstances of each case.
Further, the Minnesota chapters that dealt with emancipation of a minor have been repealed. So, it may be true that you know of others that have been emancipated in the past, but it is no longer legally possible now.

http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/revisor/pages/statute/statute_chapter_toc.php?chapter=260

AND:

http://www.leg.state.mn.us/lrl/issues/legalage.asp

Emancipation of a Minor: Emancipation means that a minor has the same legal rights and obligations as an 18-year-old adult. The Minnesota Statutes do not provide either the grounds or a procedure for emancipation. Minnesota case law has established that a minor can be emancipated by a legal marriage or by parental consent. For additional information see, Youth and the Law: A Guide for Legislators, p. 45-46.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">