• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation of a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katherin98

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I am a teen mom (17) and I no longer live with my mom, nor do I have any contact with her. I am a full time student and I do no work. I would like te be emancipated and be able to manage my legal documents. As I mentioned above, I don't havailable any contact with my mom, she cut contact with me and is in possession of all my legal documents. I gave tried calling and texting to ask for them but she ignores me. I don't have any type of identification other than school id. I would like to know if in my situation, I would be eligible for emancipation even if do not work?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I am a teen mom (17) and I no longer live with my mom, nor do I have any contact with her. I am a full time student and I do no work. I would like te be emancipated and be able to manage my legal documents. As I mentioned above, I don't havailable any contact with my mom, she cut contact with me and is in possession of all my legal documents. I gave tried calling and texting to ask for them but she ignores me. I don't have any type of identification other than school id. I would like to know if in my situation, I would be eligible for emancipation even if do not work?
Where do you live, and how are you supporting yourself and your child?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The issue is not whether or not you work. The issue is whether or not you, without assistance from anyone, are able to support yourself and your child.

If you are able to pay every single cent that it takes to pay for your rent, utilities, food, clothing, transportation, medical care, insurance, staples, school fees and supplies, daycare, and everything else that you or your child needs, and need no financial assistance from any other source, then IF YOU MEET THE OTHER CRITERIA then the possibility exists that you could be emancipated even though you do not work.

If you can't, then you cannot and will not be emancipated.

Proserpina

I live with my boyfriend, he supports us financially while I go to school and care for our baby
Then at your age, by the time the denial of emancipation gets through court (and it would be a denial), you'd likely age out anyway.

If you need your legal documents, you can obtain these - it might take some creativity, but you can do it without your mother's assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">