• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation of minors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

himynameisluke

What is the name of your state? Washington

Hi all,
I am posting this in regard to a law which i have recently heard of, called the emancipation of minors. Apparently, your parents or the court can make you a legal adult, no matter what your age. I am 15, i am home schooled, I am planning on getting my GED soon, I have had a checking account for two years, have bounced one check since I opened it, And would like to get an opinion on whether were I to file a petition I could get emancipated.

Luke

You ar eincorrect. Only some states have emancipation laws and the ones that do (which exception of CA) require you to be at least 16 and living seperate from your parents.

You didnt read it then! You need to be self (keyword self) supporting. What job you hav is unimportant longs it pays enough to support yourself

CdwJava

himynameisluke said:
I am posting this in regard to a law which i have recently heard of, called the emancipation of minors. Apparently, your parents or the court can make you a legal adult, no matter what your age. I am 15, i am home schooled, I am planning on getting my GED soon, I have had a checking account for two years, have bounced one check since I opened it, And would like to get an opinion on whether were I to file a petition I could get emancipated.
First, as to the GED ... you're not old enough yet. Here are the requirements in WA:

In Washington, you are able to take the GED if you meet at least one of the following requirements:

- You are active-duty military, reserve, or national guard

- You are directed by a court order

- You are 19 years of age or older and you have not graduated from a high school program nor are you currently enrolled in high school

Test takers ages 16 to 18 must meet at least one of these requirements:

- Have not graduated from high school, are not enrolled in high school, and have a valid reason for having left high school (as determined by your school district).

- Have completed a program of home study this will need to be attested to by the caregiver who provided this home school program.

- Have completed an individual student program from a certified Educational Clinic.

Second, you must be 16 years of age or older to petition the court. The laws of emancipation:

§ 13.64.050. Emancipation decree -- Certified copy -- Notation of emancipated status.

(1) The court shall grant the petition for emancipation, except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, if the petitioner proves the following facts by clear and convincing evidence: (a) That the petitioner is sixteen years of age or older; (b) that the petitioner is a resident of the state; (c) that the petitioner has the ability to manage his or her financial affairs; and (d) that the petitioner has the ability to manage his or her personal, social, educational, and nonfinancial affairs.

(2) A parent, guardian, custodian, or in the case of a dependent minor, the department, may oppose the petition for emancipation. The court shall deny the petition unless it finds, by clear and convincing evidence, that denial of the grant of emancipation would be detrimental to the interests of the minor.

(3) Upon entry of a decree of emancipation by the court the petitioner shall be given a certified copy of the decree. The decree shall instruct the petitioner to obtain a Washington driver's license or a Washington identification card and direct the department of licensing make a notation of the emancipated status on the license or identification card.

Note that if your parents oppose the petition the court SHALL deny the petition unless it finds that it would be in the best interests of the child. This is rarely the case.

So, unless your aprents support this endeavor, you are pretty much dead in the water.

Wait until you are 18 ... what' the rush to move out and be on your own? Is there a love interest involved?

Trust me, the real world will come as a surprise to you, and the costs to live out there will be far greater than you think right now! Enjoy being a kid for a while longer - it will end, but why rush it?

- Carl

himynameisluke

Thank you all for your advice and instruction.
My parents will most likely do nothing to stop the petition, since they want me out as much as I want out.

Jaturner

What is the name of your state? Washington

Hi all,

Luke
:)HI Luke.
My name is Jordan. Well inmy understanding of the civil right and laws of Washington you should have know problem what so ever with filing a petition and getting Emancipated. I to am in the same boat. My only problem is in the state of alabama you have to 16 to even think about getting emancipated. Even if my parents were willing. Well good luck

:> Jordan

Just Blue

My name is Jordan. Well inmy understanding of the civil right and laws of Washington you should have know problem what so ever with filing a petition and getting Emancipated. I to am in the same boat. My only problem is in the state of alabama you have to 16 to even think about getting emancipated. Even if my parents were willing. Well good luck

Well Jordan, Based upon this post Jesus Himself was all for your emancipation, you would STILL not qualify...Want to know why??

mommyof4

You are so wrong, I don't even know where to begin.

Civil rights has nothing to do with a minor being allowed to live on his or her own. The link for the statute has been posted. Even when a minor meets ALL of the reqirements, a judge does not HAVE to grant the petition.

Go back to reading. You don't know what you are talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">