• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation and moving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Josh72x

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am going on 16 and plan on filing for emancipation come that time, I won't go into details on the situation though.

What I want to know is, in Michigan law can a emancipated minor move out of state? I can work and make good money for a few different things in Alaska, plus collect the money I make off a few investments I have to live off of. I'm capable of maintaining myself out of state. Is it then possible for me to move out of state?

Happy Trails

Josh72x said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am going on 16 and plan on filing for emancipation come that time, I won't go into details on the situation though.

What I want to know is, in Michigan law can a emancipated minor move out of state? I can work and make good money for a few different things in Alaska, plus collect the money I make off a few investments I have to live off of. I'm capable of maintaining myself out of state. Is it then possible for me to move out of state?
§ 722.4e. Rights and responsibilities of emancipated minor; obligation and liability of parents.

Sec. 4e. (1) A minor emancipated by operation of law or by court order shall be considered to have the rights and responsibilities of an adult, except for those specific constitutional and statutory age requirements regarding voting, use of alcoholic beverages, and other health and safety regulations relevant to him or her because of his or her age. A minor shall be considered emancipated for the purposes of, but not limited to, all of the following:

(a) The right to enter into enforceable contracts, including apartment leases.

(b) The right to sue or be sued in his or her own name.

(c) The right to retain his or her own earnings.

(d) The right to establish a separate domicile.

(e) The right to act autonomously, and with the rights and responsibilities of an adult, in all business relationships, including, but not limited to, property transactions and obtaining accounts for utilities, except for those estate or property matters that the court determines may require a conservator or guardian ad litem.

(f) The right to earn a living, subject only to the health and safety regulations designed to protect those under the age of majority regardless of their legal status.

(g) The right to authorize his or her own preventive health care, medical care, dental care, and mental health care, without parental knowledge or liability.

(h) The right to apply for a driver's license or other state licenses for which he or she might be eligible.

(i) The right to register for school.

(j) The right to marry.

(k) The right to apply to the medical assistance program administered under the social welfare act, Act No. 280 of the Public Acts of 1939, being sections 400.1 to 400.121 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, if needed.

(l) The right to apply for other welfare assistance, including general assistance and aid to families with dependent children administered under Act No. 280 of the Public Acts of 1939, if needed.

(m) The right, if a parent, to make decisions and give authority in caring for his or her own minor child.

(n) The right to make a will.

(2) The parents of a minor emancipated by court order are jointly and severally obligated to support the minor. However, the parents of a minor emancipated by court order are not liable for any debts incurred by the minor during the period of emancipation.

http://www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/michigan.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">