• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation in Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beanersbabe

i am a soon to be 16 year old in 4 days from Ohio and i may be pregnant. my dad has said in the past that if i have a mixed baby(half black or latino) the child will not be allowed on his property. this baby would be half latino. i would not give up my baby if i am. i've had a job for 2 years now, so would i be able to be emancipated? :(

Neal1421

beanersbabe said:
i am a soon to be 16 year old in 4 days from Ohio and i may be pregnant. my dad has said in the past that if i have a mixed baby(half black or latino) the child will not be allowed on his property. this baby would be half latino. i would not give up my baby if i am. i've had a job for 2 years now, so would i be able to be emancipated? :(
Does that job support you 100%? I seriously doubt that it will cover rent, utilities, food, transportation etc for you let alone a child. You will not be able to be emancipated. Where is your mother in all of this?

beanersbabe

my mother would not let me give up the baby, but she will not go against my dad. my friend who is also 16 and pregnant lives on her own, but for different reasons and has the same job as me, but she makes less b/c i've worked there for 2 years and am higher up and she's only worked there since summer. some how she does it on her own, she struggles but she always pays her bills on time some how. i think that if she's able to do it i could.

Wolflmg

beanersbabe said:
my mother would not let me give up the baby, but she will not go against my dad. my friend who is also 16 and pregnant lives on her own, but for different reasons and has the same job as me, but she makes less b/c i've worked there for 2 years and am higher up and she's only worked there since summer. some how she does it on her own, she struggles but she always pays her bills on time some how. i think that if she's able to do it i could.

If your dad's going to end up having a problem with the baby's mixed race. That's already going to cause problems, it wouldn't be a health environment for your child to grow up in, because grandpa doesn't like it that he/she is mixed. And it's not going to be good for you, 16 a teen mother, with having to make a big choice of its either your family or your child. That's a lot for any teenager to choose.

The best thing for you maybe to put your child up for adoption and you can do that on your own. You don't need mom for that. It can even be an open adoption where you pick the family. And with an open adoption you would be able to see the child and the child would know that your it's birth mother, but the family you picked out, are his/her parents.

It the long run, it probably will be the best for both of you. You have to remember, this isn't just you, theres a whole another person. If you know your father will never change his mind, is this the kind of life that you want to raise your child in? That has to be a question you need to ask yourself.

AHA

beanersbabe said:
Where is the latino daddy? Is he not going to take his share of the responsibility for the joint mess you both put yourselves in?
So, you want to struggle financially for the rest of your life? Without an education, you won't be able to get a much better paying job and you don't want your kid growing up with the same lack of ambition, do you?
It would be a very stupid move to alienate BOTH your parents forever, because if you ever are going to need help from anyone, it will be from them, trust me.
Are you prepared to be the only family your kid will have?

beanersbabe

the father is over 18 and i dont want him to get into any trouble so i dont want to get him involved. i know it would be for the best but i just couldn't give a baby up if im going to carry it for 9 months. i think that if i can make the stupid desicion to have sex at a young age, then i should deal with the concsequences. i've always taken reponsibility for my actions and this should be no different. so is there pretty much no way of me being emancipated?
thank you all for your imput. also i have a younger friend who has a 2 year old daughter and when she was unable to come to school she did homeschooling and she's back at school now. education is IMPORTANT to me so i would do homeschooling if i had to.

Last edited:

pty

Children are very expensive (you rack up huge bills before they even enter the world!) You do realize that if you apply for any form of assistance, you will likely have to name the father, right?

So you’re going to go to school all day, then work nights and weekends--when are you going to spend any time with your child?

And if you mean actual 'homeschooling' who’s going to do that? You can’t homeschool yourself.

I realize you may not want to consider adoption, but what you need to realize is that it’s not about what YOU want anymore. It’s about what’s best for your child.

S

shell007

Just an additional note:

Since your are not yet 16 (4 days shy), that means you were 15 when you got pregnant. He is 18!
the father is over 18 and i dont want him to get into any trouble so i dont want to get him involved.
However, YOUR Dad could get him involved whether you like it or not because.....

In Ohio: It's illegal. As the difference is less than 4 years, it's a first degree misdemeanor, with a maximum penalty of 6 months in jail and a $1000 fine.

First-degree rape if actor engages in sexual conduct with person <13. Corruption of a minor if actor is >=18 and victim is aged 13-15; if actor is less than four years older than victim, the crime is reduced from a felony to a misdemeanor.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
pty said:
So you’re going to go to school all day, then work nights and weekends--when are you going to spend any time with your child?
And who's going to be watching the kid?

Wolflmg

beanersbabe said:
the father is over 18 and i dont want him to get into any trouble so i dont want to get him involved. i know it would be for the best but i just couldn't give a baby up if im going to carry it for 9 months. i think that if i can make the stupid desicion to have sex at a young age, then i should deal with the concsequences. i've always taken reponsibility for my actions and this should be no different. so is there pretty much no way of me being emancipated?
thank you all for your imput. also i have a younger friend who has a 2 year old daughter and when she was unable to come to school she did homeschooling and she's back at school now. education is IMPORTANT to me so i would do homeschooling if i had to.
Responsibility of ones actions, also means to do what's best for both you and the unborn child. Being a parent at 16 is going to be a very scary thing, and if your family is not at your side, it's going to make it the all harder.
You need to really think about this, your dad has his views and if they don't change, it will have a very bad effect on your relationship with him and to the child. That won't be healthy for the child, if he/she has a grandparent resented it.

It will be very damageing on the childs outlook on life. A sixteen year old teenager, should not have to carry that on their shoulders. Which is why putting the child up for adoption is the best thing, as hard as it would be. And by doing that, doesn't mean your a bad person, it doesn't make you irresponsible. I means, that you know in your heart that you may not be able to provide the kind of living environment the child should have and you want to make sure they get that, because that's all any parent wants for their child is what best for them, even if that mean that can't be the one that raises them.

And when that child gets older, they'll know that you loved him/her more then anything and only wanted what was best for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">