• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emancipation question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

writerkid28

What is the name of your state? I live in Tennessee.

My mother and I butt heads constantly, and about two months ago i moved out and went to live with my father who lives around two hours away. Being a seventeen year old, however, I missed my friends and my former life very much, even though it was made extremely difficult by my mother. A little over two weeks ago I called her and told her I would come back on several conditions, which have already been broken, and things are the exact same way they were before I left. She has mentioned kicking me out several times, which is actually quite fine with me, I would love to leave again and move out, just not to my Dad's again. Is there any way I can be emancipated if both me and my mother agree to it? I have a steady source of income, a car, good grades, and a clean record. I don't even have a speeding ticket. I turn eighteen in May, I'm just not sure that my mom and I both can wait until then... any suggestions?What is the name of your state?

writerkid28

I have money. That's not the issue. I'm just tired of this woman running my life and doing it badly. She's cut me off from everyone and put me on total lockdown. She makes me give her a cut of my paycheck, and financially support myself. I go to school from seven in the morning until one thirty in the afternoon, and then i sit there and do homework or go to work. I'm not allowed to associate with my friends for no reason at all. I pay for my car, my insurance, my food, my gas, and my clothes. So I am completely self sustaining, I just need it to be legal.

gawm

I have money. That's not the issue.
You can never have too much money when you are supporting yourself. It is always an issue
I'm just tired of this woman running my life and doing it badly.
You and every other 17 year old in this country.:rolleyes:
She's cut me off from everyone and put me on total lockdown.
Should have stayed with your dad since you're not seeing your friends anyway.;)
She makes me give her a cut of my paycheck, and financially support myself.
Teaching you financial responsibility. Wait until you have to pay rent in the real world. You'll be begging to move back in.
I go to school from seven in the morning until one thirty in the afternoon, and then i sit there and do homework or go to work.
And that will change when you move out how?:confused:
I'm not allowed to associate with my friends for no reason at all.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I pay for my car, my insurance, my food, my gas, and my clothes. So I am completely self sustaining,
I see she is not TOO restrictive
I just need it to be legal.
And you will be, in may.

writerkid28

Thanks, and I don't mean to seem ungrateful for the advice, but I don't really need someone to preach to me about why all this is wrong, I just need someone to tell me if it's possible.

The Occultist

A judge will not grant emancipation unless you are able to support yourself completely, including rent, all by yourself, with no roommates.

If your mom is willing to cosign you into an apartment or something, then you wouldn't even need to be emancipated. But it doesn't sound like she'll be willing to do that since she'll be ultimately responsible if you don't make with the rent.

Also, lose the attitude, kid. I think I can see why you and Mommy aren't getting along. Don't even think of using that tone with a judge. If somebody on this board wants to preach, then gosh darn it, they're gonna preach. If you don't want to read it, then, guess what: YOU DON'T HAVE TO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">