• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

briana9

Is joining the military grounds for emancipation? I'm currently 17 and I graduate in June and I'll still be 17; I won't turn 18 for a while. My spiteful parents refuse to sign for ANYTHING and I can't do anything without their consent. I can't release my transcripts so I can get into college, receive financial aid (because I'm a dependent & they won't give me their tax info for fafsa), get a job, join the military etc. I don't want to be out on the street homeless as soon as I turn 18, because I couldn't take the necessary precautions. I know in order to get emancipated you need to have a way to support yourself, but I can't get a job, because they won't sign for it. But if I am able to join the military, then I will. Do you think a judge will let be emancipated on those grounds? I know the military will let me join at 17 without parent permission if I am emancipated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I very much doubt that a judge will emancipate you so that you can join the military without permission. I think it far more likely that the judge will tell you to wait till you are 18.

OHRoadwarrior

That said, TX has very liberal runaway laws for 17 year olds. If you have a close relative willing to take you in or can get a job to support yourself and your own apartment all you need to do is notify your parents or local police as to your whereabouts. You must be careful not to move in with a boyfriend or stranger as they could be charged under harboring a runaway statutes. Here is a link to statutes, make sure to be clear on them before acting.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.25.htm

Proserpina

Is joining the military grounds for emancipation? I'm currently 17 and I graduate in June and I'll still be 17; I won't turn 18 for a while. My spiteful parents refuse to sign for ANYTHING and I can't do anything without their consent. I can't release my transcripts so I can get into college, receive financial aid (because I'm a dependent & they won't give me their tax info for fafsa), get a job, join the military etc. I don't want to be out on the street homeless as soon as I turn 18, because I couldn't take the necessary precautions. I know in order to get emancipated you need to have a way to support yourself, but I can't get a job, because they won't sign for it. But if I am able to join the military, then I will. Do you think a judge will let be emancipated on those grounds? I know the military will let me join at 17 without parent permission if I am emancipated.

Perhaps your "spiteful" parents believe you're too immature to handle such things.

briana9

Only a fraction of high school graduates are qualified to obtain a bachelors degree. You may not have the grades, drive or goals to make college a good investment.
I'm at the top of my class, so that's not the case at all. I don't have the greatest relationship with my parents, but you don't know know that, so I'm going to try my best not to take it personally

LdiJ

I'm so immature that they won't even help me so I can apply for college?
I have to admit that that one doesn't make much sense to me. However, is it college at all, or college where you want to go? Would they cooperate if it was a different college?

briana9

I have to admit that that one doesn't make much sense to me. However, is it college at all, or college where you want to go? Would they cooperate if it was a different college?
It is college in general. They won't even sign to release my transcripts, so I can apply for scholarships. My mother straight up said that she is going to make my life a living hell until I turn 18.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
It is college in general. They won't even sign to release my transcripts, so I can apply for scholarships. My mother straight up said that she is going to make my life a living hell until I turn 18.
When do you turn 18, briana9?

OHRoadwarrior

Remember, I am the one who gave you a way to legally leave. If the college you wish to attend is close by, go talk to the Financial Aid Officer and explain your situation. He/She might be able to open up some doors. I do not see that you have anything to lose if mom n dad advised you to pound sand on college.

I'm at the top of my class, so that's not the case at all. I don't have the greatest relationship with my parents, but you don't know know that, so I'm going to try my best not to take it personally

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Remember, I am the one who gave you a way to legally leave. If the college you wish to attend is close by, go talk to the Financial Aid Officer and explain your situation. He/She might be able to open up some doors. I do not see that you have anything to lose if mom n dad advised you to pound sand on college.
Your advice is poor - really. Advising a poster to run away from home? I think it's time for more tylenol and rest OHR.

OHRoadwarrior

I am simply recognizing that the age of 18 is not as magic a number as many states would like you to think. I am trying to give her the tools to get to college. Living away from your parents and them denying FAFSA info is part of that. It seems her option B is to join the armed forces and possibly die in a war zone to get to college. No one has all the answers. I wish we were endowed with a crystal ball where we could always give them the best guidance. To follow the process she would need to move in with a very closely related relative. You can read the statute for how close. One would think if a close relative were to open that door, they would do so because it is in her best interests, based on their first hand knowledge.

As a matter of fact, one of the family strays I picked up was from Texas. He appeared at my door in OH after being abandoned by his dad. We paid for his support the last 2 years he was in high school. Neither his mom or his dad wanted him.

Your advice is poor - really. Advising a poster to run away from home? I think it's time for more tylenol and rest OHR.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">