• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evil Mother :/

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alsark

State: Indiana
City: Fort Wayne
Current Age: 17
Age of Planned Action: 18
Question: Can I be arrested for driving a rental car if I live with my parents?

Okay, so let me start this off by saying my social life sucks. I'm a loner who is seventeen who has only had one real life girlfriend in his life, which lasted only two months. So basically, four months ago, I met this girl online, and she was really cool. She's from Florida, but she is only fourteen at the time. She is only the second girlfriend I've had, and even though it is only an online relationship, I'm happy. And yes, I know everything she is saying is true.

So, anyway, I was thinking when I turned eighteen I could go down there and see her during winter break. My mom (who I still live with - and still will live with when I'm eighteen [I'll be a senior in high school by then]) said that if I tried to take the car then she would have me arrested because the car isn't in my name. This said, if I were to get a rental car and drive down to Florida, could she do anything about it? Also, this girl's mom is completely okay with me spending a few nights down there, because her mom is cooler than mine. Oh, and no, we're not going to "do anything," so don't try to turn this topic into something about that, because I know that is illegal.

Alsark

Oh, darn... I didn't even think to look that up, I guess that's a good point :/. Even though eighteen is legally an adult chances are they wouldn't rent a car out to an eighteen year old, would they?

Hm... so if I were to take a car that is in my parent's name I could indeed be arrested, right?

Neal1421

Alsark said:
Oh, darn... I didn't even think to look that up, I guess that's a good point :/. Even though eighteen is legally an adult chances are they wouldn't rent a car out to an eighteen year old, would they?

Hm... so if I were to take a car that is in my parent's name I could indeed be arrested, right?
Uh...yes. That would considered be theft if your parents didn't know you took the car.

Alsark

Darnit... okay... new plan.

Say I took a bus down there? Like a Greyhound bus or whatever... would that at all be possible?

Last edited:

mb94

Hate to break your heart kiddo but I don't know of any rental car companies that rent to 18 year old kids. Most are 25 years old and a few are 21 (but they will charge you a higher rental rate).

At 18 your parents can't stop you from doing something. I'd tread lightly with them since they can also throw you out of the house and stop supporting you at that age also.

I feel bad for your 14 year old "friend" who's mother doesn't even care enough about her to try and stop some stranger from the internet from meeting her.

HappyHusband

Alsark said:
Darnit... okay... new plan.

Say I took a bus down there? Like a Greyhound bus or whatever... would that at all be possible?
Yes, you can take a bus.

But like everyone else is saying, this road trip is highly inadvisable.

Alsark

mb94 said:
I feel bad for your 14 year old "friend" who's mother doesn't even care enough about her to try and stop some stranger from the internet from meeting her.
Err... I'm not exactly a "stranger." The two of us will have been together for a year and four months by then. Also, the mother would be in the house when I'm there with her. She knows how old I am, and she has seen me on the webcam, just as I have seen her (her as in both my girlfriend and her mother). She also knows that we talk on the phone. So we're not just "strangers" with each other.

So... yeah... I guess I could take a bus if I really wanted to... I don't know though... I guess my best option would just be to wait since my mom is being evil :/.

Last edited:

Neal1421

Alsark said:
Err... I'm not exactly a "stranger." The mother would be in the house when I'm there with her. She knows how old I am, and she has seen me on the webcam, just as I have seen her (her as in both my girlfriend and her mother). She also knows that we talk on the phone. So we're not just "strangers" with each other.

So... yeah... I guess I could take a bus if I really wanted to... I don't know though... I guess my best option would just be to wait since my mom is being evil :/.
Your mother is not being evil, she is just concerned for your saftey. The fact that you are even considering going to see this person and her mother that you have never even met shows that you are not mature enough to make your own decisions and that she needs to make them for you.

Try to meet someone in your hometown closer to your own age. Just a thought.

Alsark

Neal1421 said:
Your mother is not being evil, she is just concerned for your saftey. The fact that you are even considering going to see this person and her mother that you have never even met shows that you are not mature enough to make your own decisions and that she needs to make them for you.

Try to meet someone in your hometown closer to your own age. Just a thought.
Lol... so you're saying that when adults meet each other on dating sites and they do not live locally, they are "immature" if they even consider meeting in person? My uncle just met a girl on a site from Canada, and they're going to see each other, even though they'll have only known each other a couple of weeks (compared to a year and four months, on my part). Is he "immature" because of that?

And I already said at the start of the topic - I'm a loner. I CAN'T meet people that live nearby because nobody likes me.

HappyHusband

Alsark said:
Lol... so you're saying that when adults meet each other on dating sites and they do not live locally, they are "immature" if they even consider meeting in person? My uncle just met a girl on a site from Canada, and they're going to see each other, even though they'll have only known each other a couple of weeks (compared to a year and four months, on my part). Is he "immature" because of that?

And I already said at the start of the topic - I'm a loner. I CAN'T meet people that live nearby because nobody likes me.
Go online and pretend to live out of state and try to meet girls from Fort Wayne.
Just a thought.

When I was your age we didn't have no fancy internettin capabilities.

Neal1421

Alsark said:

No, I am saying that you as a child are considering making an immature decison that could put your safety at risk.
Also, we are talking about a 14 year old child emphasis on child that you want to go spend time with. You are almost an adult, time to start hanging out with people closer to your own age before you end up in jail.

Wolflmg

Alsark said:
State: Indiana
City: Fort Wayne
Current Age: 17
Age of Planned Action: 18
Question: Can I be arrested for driving a rental car if I live with my parents?

Okay, so let me start this off by saying my social life sucks. I'm a loner who is seventeen who has only had one real life girlfriend in his life, which lasted only two months. So basically, four months ago, I met this girl online, and she was really cool. She's from Florida, but she is only fourteen at the time. She is only the second girlfriend I've had, and even though it is only an online relationship, I'm happy. And yes, I know everything she is saying is true.

So, anyway, I was thinking when I turned eighteen I could go down there and see her during winter break. My mom (who I still live with - and still will live with when I'm eighteen [I'll be a senior in high school by then]) said that if I tried to take the car then she would have me arrested because the car isn't in my name. This said, if I were to get a rental car and drive down to Florida, could she do anything about it? Also, this girl's mom is completely okay with me spending a few nights down there, because her mom is cooler than mine. Oh, and no, we're not going to "do anything," so don't try to turn this topic into something about that, because I know that is illegal.
Dude find a girl your own age, because I don't think her parents would really want her dateing an adult. Otherwise wait until she's 18.

Alsark

HappyHusband said:
Go online and pretend to live out of state and try to meet girls from Fort Wayne.
Just a thought.

When I was your age we didn't have no fancy internettin capabilities.
Heh, it's a possibility, but then I'd just be lying about who I am. I would prefer not to do that, but thanks for the suggestion :).

Neal1421 said:
No, I am saying that you as a child are considering making an immature decison that could put your safety at risk.
Also, we are talking about a 14 year old child emphasis on child that you want to go spend time with. You are almost an adult, time to start hanging out with people closer to your own age before you end up in jail.
I guess... but I mean the only real harm I could see is that Miami might potentially not be a very safe area, but it's not as though me being eighteen or me being twenty-five or whatever would make a difference in how safe I would be, anyway.

As for the hanging out with a fourteen year old thing (fifteen, when I'm eighteen)... I mean, we're only three years apart. That isn't very much at all. She looks older than she is and she also acts older than she is. Plus it's not like I can get thrown in jail just for kissing, right? I have no intention of having "sexual relations" with her, so I can not end up in jail in that regard.

Wolflmg

Alsark said:
Heh, it's a possibility, but then I'd just be lying about who I am. I would prefer not to do that, but thanks for the suggestion :).

I guess... but I mean the only real harm I could see is that Miami might potentially not be a very safe area, but it's not as though me being eighteen or me being twenty-five or whatever would make a difference in how safe I would be, anyway.

As for the hanging out with a fourteen year old thing (fifteen, when I'm eighteen)... I mean, we're only three years apart. That isn't very much at all. She looks older than she is and she also acts older than she is. Plus it's not like I can get thrown in jail just for kissing, right? I have no intention of having "sexual relations" with her, so I can not end up in jail in that regard.

Perhaps, but come on your an 18 year old male. Things could change between now and then. She could change, how many 14 year old do you know with adult boyfriends?

It's one thing if your going to meet someone your own age, but a 14 year olds still have a lot of growing up to do. When my sister was that age she had several on and off boyfriends that never lasted until she was much older. What I'm saying is, she will eventually lose interrest and will move on to something else. A long distance relationship don't really work out for young teenagers, like herself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">