• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expulsion from school for Assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikebarde

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Today at school I was involved in an altercation. I had brought a knife to school for self-defense, because yesterday I got into an argument with somebody I used to associate myself with. All of which lead to a school expulsion, for a whole calendar year.

He insinuated he was going to do something about the situation through a blog post which I read. (Yes, a little bit odd, I know.) So I packed a knife in my backpack in case I was attacked off-guard after school. I didn't know if he would take severe action, so I made sure I had at least a weapon to defend myself, seeing as I'm 5 inches shorter and a lot smaller than the guy.

He sucker punched me during school today, and during the heat of the moment, I pulled the knife out and I lunged at him. Luckily, I dropped the knife and I didn't harm him with it. But, after the fight was broken up, we were taken to the office where they reviewed the security cameras and saw me draw the knife.

I didn't hurt him, so the only thing they got me for was Assault with a Deadly Weapon and for having an illegal weapon at school. I understand this.

But I'm reading up online, and I read that I can try to appeal the expulsion and change their mind?

I'm a really good student, and out of stupidity and fear, I brought a knife to school. I have nothing on my high school record involving any type of violence. Not even a single day of skipping, or a referral. I'm really a nice person, and I've never been in a situation like this. I'm not violent, I was just scared and stupid is all. All I've been focused on is doing better in school, and now this happens.

I'm just trying to find any way to get rid of this expulsion. Or, at least lower the expulsion and bring it down so I can attend a public school during the beginning of my Junior year.

I'm a nice kid, and I made a huge mistake. I'm really academically focused, and I don't want to have to attend a continuation school for this upcoming semester, and then one semester during my third year in high school. (I am in the 10th grade.)

Any help, suggestions and comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Today at school I was involved in an altercation. I had brought a knife to school for self-defense, because yesterday I got into an argument with somebody I used to associate myself with. All of which lead to a school expulsion, for a whole calendar year.
Were the police involved! Mere possession of the knife at school could have been charged as a felony!!!

He sucker punched me during school today, and during the heat of the moment, I pulled the knife out and I lunged at him. Luckily, I dropped the knife and I didn't harm him with it. But, after the fight was broken up, we were taken to the office where they reviewed the security cameras and saw me draw the knife.

I didn't hurt him, so the only thing they got me for was Assault with a Deadly Weapon and for having an illegal weapon at school. I understand this.
The former is a violent felony - a strikeable offense under CA law! Depending on your age and the circumstances, you could be charged as an adult! And even if not charged as an adult this could result in your going to a state facility with CYA!

But I'm reading up online, and I read that I can try to appeal the expulsion and change their mind?
You can try, but I would be flabbergasted if the school rescinded the expulsion. They would be foolish to do so.

I'm just trying to find any way to get rid of this expulsion. Or, at least lower the expulsion and bring it down so I can attend a public school during the beginning of my Junior year.
If the court does not issue a protective order, and you can really smooth talk the school, you MIGHT be allowed back in a year ... maybe.

Have mom and dad hire an attorney NOW!

mistoffolees

If the court does not issue a protective order, and you can really smooth talk the school, you MIGHT be allowed back in a year ... maybe.

Have mom and dad hire an attorney NOW!
And meanwhile, have Mom and Dad find you another school where you can finish the school year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">