• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extreme amount of restitution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dainers

In November of 2010 (I was 15) two of my friends at the time (T and C) and I were hanging out at my house alone. We had a few beers and we're just sitting around. We made our way outside to smoke a cigarette and sat on the cinder block wall dividing my house and the b&b next door. T jumped to the other side and C and I followed. We knew they were only running till the summer. After looking around, we broke the cracked window to the back door and let ourselves in, nobody home. We started going through drawers and closets looking for stuff to take. The only thing we found of value were three small flat-screens and a couple DVD players. We took the stuff back to my shed and went back to look some more. C was still in the b&b while T and I were outside smoking. C told us to come in and soon after we heard him break something. Then T started to break things too. I went outside and looked around. It was dark now. They sounded like they were having fun. Though I wish I would've just stayed outside, I went in. I found a two by four and used it to break a little old box TV and some dishes. I also sprayed a fire extinguisher. After about 5 minutes, I told the guys to come back to the house. We had maxed out our adrenaline and immediately felt bad for what we did. We decided to call the cops and tell them we heard someone breaking stuff next door. Another bad idea. It didn't take them long to find out it was us. We admitted it. We returned what we stole. A couple weeks passed and they took us to juvie. A week after court. The victim claimed about $1,000,000 in damages.. hahaha. Our lawyers were able to bring it down to about $120,000. They claimed more stuff was stolen and not returned. Including antiques. I know for a fact we didn't take that stuff, and there's no way we could have caused that much damage in 5 minutes. Now here we are six years later. I'm 21. Haven't had much contact with T or C. I pay every month toward a now $140,000 restitution. Interest is 10% monthly. I have no idea what to do. At this rate I'm gonna owe $500,000 dollars and still be on probation when I'm 40! I talked to T today after a probation review and we talked about us all trying to get a $50,000 loan so we could at least get off probation. Should I try to get a retrial? Should I just try to pay it off? Can I get some kind of aid or somehow lower the amount?

Eekamouse

In November of 2010 (I was 15) two of my friends at the time (T and C) and I were hanging out at my house alone. We had a few beers and we're just sitting around. We made our way outside to smoke a cigarette and sat on the cinder block wall dividing my house and the b&b next door. T jumped to the other side and C and I followed. We knew they were only running till the summer. After looking around, we broke the cracked window to the back door and let ourselves in, nobody home. We started going through drawers and closets looking for stuff to take. The only thing we found of value were three small flat-screens and a couple DVD players. We took the stuff back to my shed and went back to look some more. C was still in the b&b while T and I were outside smoking. C told us to come in and soon after we heard him break something. Then T started to break things too. I went outside and looked around. It was dark now. They sounded like they were having fun. Though I wish I would've just stayed outside, I went in. I found a two by four and used it to break a little old box TV and some dishes. I also sprayed a fire extinguisher. After about 5 minutes, I told the guys to come back to the house. We had maxed out our adrenaline and immediately felt bad for what we did. We decided to call the cops and tell them we heard someone breaking stuff next door. Another bad idea. It didn't take them long to find out it was us. We admitted it. We returned what we stole. A couple weeks passed and they took us to juvie. A week after court. The victim claimed about $1,000,000 in damages.. hahaha. Our lawyers were able to bring it down to about $120,000. They claimed more stuff was stolen and not returned. Including antiques. I know for a fact we didn't take that stuff, and there's no way we could have caused that much damage in 5 minutes. Now here we are six years later. I'm 21. Haven't had much contact with T or C. I pay every month toward a now $140,000 restitution. Interest is 10% monthly. I have no idea what to do. At this rate I'm gonna owe $500,000 dollars and still be on probation when I'm 40! I talked to T today after a probation review and we talked about us all trying to get a $50,000 loan so we could at least get off probation. Should I try to get a retrial? Should I just try to pay it off? Can I get some kind of aid or somehow lower the amount?
You pay off what you owe for your vandalism and theft and be glad you were a kid when you did it. You'd be in a lot more trouble if you had done it as an adult.

Dainers

Not asking for sympathy

Has it occurred to you three that you affected their business? No sympathy here.
I am not asking for sympathy. I know what we did was wrong. In fact I personally apologized to the victim. They probably got about 3 people a month. If anything, we saved her from having to commit insurance fraud. I just see no future in having all of this paid. Though I wish I could, it's impossible.

Just Blue

Likes to stealth and Gail...and all members that posted except the punk.

I really can't wait to get out "likes" back...

justalayman

I am not asking for sympathy. I know what we did was wrong. In fact I personally apologized to the victim. They probably got about 3 people a month. If anything, we saved her from having to commit insurance fraud. I just see no future in having all of this paid. Though I wish I could, it's impossible.
You saved her from HAVING TO commit insurance fraud? Really? How is that? What makes you believe she was going to commit insurance fraud?

As to saving her from anything; since you still have not repaid her for the damages you caused, you haven't saved her from anything. She is still out the value of the items you stole or broke.

As to the interest rate; BS.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And of course, at 15 you were experts at appraisal and can tell precisely the value of everything you broke? The repair costs of everything that was ruined by the fire extinguisher? Whether the dishes were antiques or not? What your friends might have broken while you were outside?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Can I get some kind of aid or somehow lower the amount?
Aid? AID? Great googly-moogly man -- why in the world do you think you're entitled to aid for your criminal acts. How about this instead? Why don't you man up and pay for the crime you committed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">