• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(Georgia) Dating a Minor (Under 18)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arewhyfour

I am a person above the age of 18, dating someone that is 16 years old (turns 17 in a couple of months) and I am located in Georgia.

First of all, as far as I know the legal age of consent in Georgia is 16, correct? It's not like we're doing anything anyway.

Situation:
My girlfriend told her mom she was going to a town 5 hours away with her best friend and her best friend's mom -- but in reality, she went with her best friend and me. Long story short we got busted and I took her immediately home when her mom called and told us to do so. I never took her out of state and she went willingly on this trip.

Is this something I could get in trouble with?

Second:
Her mom has forbidden us to see each other or talk to each other, along with her best friend. Which I understand completely and accept, however I do intend on talking to her.

But what would happen if we started seeing each other behind her mom's back?

What problems would I face? What problems would she face?

At the very least I know I cannot step on her mom's property or I could get criminal trespassing.

Third:
There was 'rumors' floating around about a minor being able to make legal decisions at 17 in Georgia (supposedly a new law), where a minor could move out and do what they wanted at that age. The most I've heard of it is rumor, so I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this and could please point me in the correct direction of some up-to-date accurate information.

fairisfair

although according to Georgia statutes you may NOT be guilty of statutory rape, there is a multitude of other things that you could be charged with, custodial interference, contributing to the deliquency of a minor, have a restraining order placed against you, and that is just where I would start if this was MY 17 year old daughter.

arewhyfour

although according to Georgia statutes you may NOT be guilty of statutory rape, there is a multitude of other things that you could be charged with, custodial interference, contributing to the deliquency of a minor, have a restraining order placed against you, and that is just where I would start if this was MY 17 year old daughter.

We aren't having sex, so there would be nothing there.

Sorry if I acted like an ass, I'm just upset.

Could you please answer the questions one by one?

Thanks in advance.

arewhyfour

Mostly is the being 17 and can move out thing. From reading on this forums it seems like that may be the case in Georgia (where she can do that) - but I'm still not 100% sure.

fairisfair

We aren't having sex, so there would be nothing there.

Sorry if I acted like an ass, I'm just upset.

Could you please answer the questions one by one?

Thanks in advance.
I think I HAVE answered them
could I get in trouble, yes, see post 7
what could happen
see post 7
what problems would I face
see post 7

Your girlfriend cannot make her own legal decisions, not until she is of majority age, or is emancipated, and that isn't going to happen.

arewhyfour

Which brings me to her being 17 and just moving out. As posted on this same forum there is 'no statue' for emancipation in Georgia. But I'm not even sure what that means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">