• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend moving in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davew128

You do have a valid point. It is only a 3 year age difference. However, what the dude is proposing is still a VERY bad idea. Harboring a runaway can still get him thrown in jail.
Wouldn't argue against that. I just took offense to the idea that someone engaging in legal sexual behavior is somehow a child molester for doing so.

justalayman

Wouldn't argue against that. I just took offense to the idea that someone engaging in legal sexual behavior is somehow a child molester for doing so.
Molestation does not necessarily mean there was a crime;

Simple Definition of molest

: to harm (someone) through sexual contact : to touch (someone) in a sexual and improper way

To me, a 19 year old having sex with a 16 yo is harmful to the 16 yo therefor it is molestation. It may or may not be criminal but it is molestation, in my opinion.

davew128

Molestation does not necessarily mean there was a crime;

Simple Definition of molest

: to harm (someone) through sexual contact : to touch (someone) in a sexual and improper way

To me, a 19 year old having sex with a 16 yo is harmful to the 16 yo therefor it is molestation. It may or may not be criminal but it is molestation, in my opinion.
You're entitled to be incorrect particularly since the law says its not improper.

justalayman

You're entitled to be incorrect particularly since the law says its not improper.
Do you have a 16 yo daughter? If so I'll stop on by and get busy. Since you don't see it as molestation I'm sure you won't mind.

I specifically removed my statement from a legal opinion.

And if you think a 16 yo is not harmed by having a sexual relationship with a 19 yo, then I have to question your maturity and if you have children, your parenting skills.

The law does not say it is proper or improper. It merely determines whether it is illegal or not.

Proserpina

Do you have a 16 yo daughter? If so I'll stop on by and get busy. Since you don't see it as molestation I'm sure you won't mind.

I specifically removed my statement from a legal opinion.

And if you think a 16 yo is not harmed by having a sexual relationship with a 19 yo, then I have to question your maturity and if you have children, your parenting skills.

The law does not say it is proper or improper. It merely determines whether it is illegal or not.
Okay, now you're close to offending me.

Where I come from, a 16 year old (which is the legal aoc, incidentally) and a 19 year old being in a sexual relationship doesn't even raise an eyebrow. Do you honestly believe that every 16 year old is damaged from such a relationship?

Proserpina

And stone the crows, because I'm actually agreeing with dave.

I know, I know.

It is what it is.

justalayman

Where I come from, a 16 year old (which is the legal aoc, incidentally) and a 19 year old being in a sexual relationship doesn't even raise an eyebrow. Do you honestly believe that every 16 year old is damaged from such a relationship?
It would raise an eyebrow in my household. There is usually a world of difference between a 19 yo and a 16 yo in the state of maturation.

As I said, the legality is immaterial.

justalayman

Every 16 yo? No but in general, yes.

commentator

I had the 19 year old son one time on this one. There is NOTHING in our culture today that teaches or implies or shows these young people, the older one, that it is a CRIME or molestation to date a girl or boy who is in their same class and seems to be about their age in maturity and looks and all that peer group stuff. Watch movies, tv, listen to their music. Does ANYTHING tell them this is a bad idea? Do they ever cover this in Sex Ed, even if they have any besides "don't do it till you're married!"?

And falling for a girl who is being "mistreated" and asking for you help and sympathy at the first time in your life you've probably ever had the means and power to "help" (as in you've got a job, you've got a place, you don't have to ask YOUR mom and dad, for the first time)...it's a heady tempting thing to be Jim Dandy to the rescue here.

And of course with all those teenage hormones raging, thinking with the wrong body part while still mentally not so mature regardless of chronological age, which of course is what the young girl is going to be doing too. But it does not, repeat, does NOT make him a child molester. I got my son through it all with minimal damage to his psyche and his criminal record. Thank God she's gone on to ruin other lives, she was very intelligent, even a couple of years ahead of her age group in school!But lets not throw them all in the same bucket and tell the older one they're always child molesters any way except legally. We want this OP to listen to us, to hear us and understand what the laws are and not make this terrible mistake he's about to make.

Last edited:
Das ist in der Doktor!

Sounds like a case of butthurt to me.
No, Not in the least. However you are correct I had forgotten that South Carolina is one of a handful of States where as the age of consent differs form the age of majority.
my bad.

As to the fitness of my posterior, a resent visit to my proctologist has confirmed that everything is in order so your concern and opinions are unwarranted butt I thank you none the less.

Speaking of opinions, you know what they say about opinions don't you? they say opinions are like @@sholes everybody has one. In the years of my practice I have come across a rare individual who happens to have two. You sir I believe are one of the few that have been so blessed......:D
Good day!

Good god Gerty Look what I've started. I'm sorry, poor choice of words on my part. I was just hoping to scare the snot out of the OP Perhaps I did go "over the top" considering sex was never mentioned. To those who stated that a sixteen year old with a nineteen year old would hardly raise an eye brow these days. Sadly You're right but,
I will always see my daughter as my little girl, she is thirty-four now with a family of her own and my second grandchild was born on the sixth and I couldn't be happier! sssssssssssssssssssssssssssoooo
Getting back on subject IF for some reason the OP should find himself charged with something and find his keester in jail he could find himself being judged far more harshly by his fellow inmates and they are not a forgiving lot. ya never know.
Again I apologize.

commentator

There are little girls and then there are other little girls. What we've got to teach young people is that age matters, no matter how the other party looks or acts. And as I said, it's nothing they're getting from the culture anywhere.

Just Blue

There are little girls and then there are other little girls. What we've got to teach young people is that age matters, no matter how the other party looks or acts. And as I said, it's nothing they're getting from the culture anywhere.
For what it's worth...When I had the "talk" with lil'blu...I discussed the LEGAL realities of sex with a minor. All parents should have that LEGAL talk with their child/ren. IMHO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">