• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got caught shoplifting ~I'm 16

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

temp123

What is the name of your state? Massachussettes

I am currently 16 years old. I turn 17 in July.

I took a trip to Kohls with my friend whom is 17. We both stole bottles of cologne. Mine was 40$ his was 30$. We walked out of the store and got about ten feet and a man said for us to come back in. He took us to the security room, told us to take the items out of the bag. He collected our information. My friend asked if we could go to jail and the man said yes, we could. So, me, not knowing how this sort of thing since i had never been caught before, said "i dont think i can go to jail" and this highly offended the man. So instead of calling our parents, he instead called the police down and said that we were going to jail. I didnt say anything after that.

So a long story short, the police came and let us go. but they said that we will have a court date.

I am so nervous right now. What kind of things can happen to me? How much money is my family going to lose? How will this affect my future?

Please i'm really scared.

Happy Trails

From Massachusetts statutes:

Chapter 266: Section 30A Shoplifting; penalty; arrest without warrant

Section 30A.

...where the retail value of the goods obtained is less than one hundred dollars, shall be punished for a first offense by a fine not to exceed two hundred and fifty dollars, for a second offense by a fine of not less than one hundred nor more than five hundred dollars and for a third or subsequent offense by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars or imprisonment in a jail for not more than two years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

-------------------------

Also a civil fine from Kohl's.

Massachusetts passed a law in 1986 that would allow retailers to seek damages of $50 to $500 in addition to any actual damages incurred.

Mbarr77

Happy Trails said:
From Massachusetts statutes:

Chapter 266: Section 30A Shoplifting; penalty; arrest without warrant

Section 30A.

...where the retail value of the goods obtained is less than one hundred dollars, shall be punished for a first offense by a fine not to exceed two hundred and fifty dollars, for a second offense by a fine of not less than one hundred nor more than five hundred dollars and for a third or subsequent offense by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars or imprisonment in a jail for not more than two years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

-------------------------

Also a civil fine from Kohl's.

Massachusetts passed a law in 1986 that would allow retailers to seek damages of $50 to $500 in addition to any actual damages incurred.

Also in addition to this: Per your post it sounds like this is not your first time with theft..So, you may want to consider using this as a means to quit stealing!!

temp123

Thank you very very much Happy Trails... That helped alot. If there is any other information that may help to my cause I would greatly appreciate you post it.

And yes, I have stolen before, just never got caught. I am never stealing again.

And yes, I have told my parents, they are quite pissed.

Me and my mom went down to the police station in the town in which this happened and we talked to an officer. Apparently this isn't the first time something like this has happened so the cop knew somewhat about how Kohls opperates. One of the things he said was that Kohls most likely will be charging me with a civil and a criminal claim. (not sure how to word that but you get the idea).
Also he said that I could either get fined, get community service, or probation. Or possibly all three.

Another question though. I know I can get my record sealed at 17 i think, but the cop said that it doesnt always get sealed right away. Does anyone know if the police are forced to seal it within an amount of time or can they seal it when they feel i am no longer a threat?

Also... When i was in the room with the loss prevention guy.. i asked to call my mom and he wouldnt let me. Was he allowed to do that?

Last edited:

Tornin2

Does anyone know if the police are forced to seal it within an amount of time or can they seal it when they feel i am no longer a threat?
I am not an attorney, but I do know that the police don't seal your record, this is something you need to petition the courts to do.

S

smallbiz

I'm a retailer of twenty years in Massachusetts. I have gone to court a handful of times to prosecute various individuals for shoplifting, and can tell you from my experience that if this if really your first time being caught, you will not be in a huge amount of trouble.
They will likely make you pay a fine and give you something called "continued without a finding". You can ask people here, but I think if you stay out of trouble for a certain period of time, the event will be taken off your record. Not sure what Kohls line on shoplifting is, but I would suggest that you go down there with your Mom and apologize to the store manager for stealing the cologne. IT may not help you legally, but you'd be one of the few who ever bothered to do so. This will be hard for you to do but in the long run will make you a better person. I know because I stole a sweater from a similar store when I was a teenager. My Dad took me down to the shop to apologize. Between that experience and the court mess, I learned that stealing is not worth the trouble it can cause to you, your family, and the people you stole from/with. Be good now, will ya?

temp123 said:
Thank you very very much Happy Trails... That helped alot. If there is any other information that may help to my cause I would greatly appreciate you post it.

And yes, I have stolen before, just never got caught. I am never stealing again.

And yes, I have told my parents, they are quite pissed.

Me and my mom went down to the police station in the town in which this happened and we talked to an officer. Apparently this isn't the first time something like this has happened so the cop knew somewhat about how Kohls opperates. One of the things he said was that Kohls most likely will be charging me with a civil and a criminal claim. (not sure how to word that but you get the idea).
Also he said that I could either get fined, get community service, or probation. Or possibly all three.

Another question though. I know I can get my record sealed at 17 i think, but the cop said that it doesnt always get sealed right away. Does anyone know if the police are forced to seal it within an amount of time or can they seal it when they feel i am no longer a threat?

Also... When i was in the room with the loss prevention guy.. i asked to call my mom and he wouldnt let me. Was he allowed to do that?

Happy Trails

temp123 said:
Do you think hiring a lawyer would be smart?
You are the one facing a criminal charge and that is a decision you are going to have to make. It certainly wouldn't hurt to consult with one.

You know the penalties you are facing, so take it from there.

When the time comes to have your records sealed, IMO, it would be wise to hire a lawyer.

temp123

just an update:

I just got a letter in the mail saying that i have to pay $175.00 for civil relief... What else do you think could be coming my way?

Swav107

magic55 said:
More fines. Community Service. Maybe some juvie to teach you a good lesson.

Dont let this person scare you. Seeing a juvenile go to "juvie" for stealing something under $50 is practically unheard of.

Happy Trails

temp123 said:
just an update:

I just got a letter in the mail saying that i have to pay $175.00 for civil relief... What else do you think could be coming my way?
Then the next thing to look forward to is your court date. The fine will not be more than $250 and no one can predict what the court will do. Probably community service....

Go here for SJ's standard answer on how to appear in court:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=323890

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">