• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got caught shoplifting w/ warning?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fuzi

Got a warning from shoplifting?

Hi. Basically a few months ago I shoplifted Pety theft. I don't do it anymore and only now, I had an interview with a police officer who said they had evidence of me committing the offence. Obviously I confessed and told the truth straight away. I got let off with a caution but if I do it again I will have to go to court and further action will be taken there even though I'm a minor. but I'm still worried because I had shoplifted other items from that store after that incident I got caught for so when the police officer asked me if I had ever shoplifted anything else I legitimately forgot I had until afterwards. Would it be possible I could get introuble again even though it was 1 cheap item? Would they check the camera footage again specifically for me or something? What should I do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hi. Basically a few months ago I shoplifted Pety theft. I don't do it anymore and only now, I had an interview with a police officer who said they had evidence of me committing the offence. Obviously I confessed and told the truth straight away. I got let off with a caution but if I do it again I will have to go to court and further action will be taken there even though I'm a minor. but I'm still worried because I had shoplifted other items from that store after that incident I got caught for so when the police officer asked me if I had ever shoplifted anything else I legitimately forgot I had until afterwards. Would it be possible I could get introuble again even though it was 1 cheap item? Would they check the camera footage again specifically for me or something? What should I do?
You should NOT speak to the police, keep your mouth shut and quit stealing. It is very possible that the police hadn't seen any video of you shoplifting.

quincy

What is the name of your state, Fuzi?

I agree with Ohiogal that it would have been very smart for you to remain silent instead of confessing to shoplifting. Your confession has made any defense to any charge you might face more difficult.

Yes, you can get into trouble for shoplifting, even it the item you stole was a cheap item. The stolen item will wind up being far more costly than its retail price if you are charged with the crime.

You should speak with an attorney in your area if the police approach you with more questions and/or if you are charged with shoplifting. Say nothing more to the police but refer all questions to your attorney.

Last edited:

Eekamouse

Legitimately forgot? So you're a thief and a liar.

quincy

... but I'm still worried because I had shoplifted other items from that store after that incident I got caught for so when the police officer asked me if I had ever shoplifted anything else I legitimately forgot I had until afterwards. Would it be possible I could get introuble again even though it was 1 cheap item? Would they check the camera footage again specifically for me or something? What should I do?
One other piece of advice: DO NOT return to that store. In fact, until you can control your impulses, I suggest you avoid ALL stores. Let someone who is not prone to stealing items do your shopping for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">