• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got my girlfriend pregnant.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zac_oregon

Oregon:

I am a young man who has been in a sexual relationship with my girlfriend who is 15. She moved away right before I turned 18 a few weeks ago and now she found out she is pregnant. I am entering the military soon and as soon as she is 16 I want to marry her and raise our child together, but right now, she is staying with friends and her friends' parents are telling her that I can go to jail for her being pregnant.

I don't know what to do. If there are charges against me, I won't be able to get into the Navy anymore and I got a 98 on my ASVAB so I have a great opportunity here. Can anyone out there give me information on if I should anticipate charges being leveled against me?

Thank you.

Zac in Oregon

justalayman

163.355 Rape in the third degree. (1) A person commits the crime of rape in the third degree if the person has sexual intercourse with another person under 16 years of age.

(2) Rape in the third degree is a Class C felony. [1971 c.743 §109; 1991 c.628 §1]

163.435 Contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor. (1) A person 18 years of age or older commits the crime of contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor if:

(a) Being a male, he engages in sexual intercourse with a female under 18 years of age; or

(b) Being a female, she engages in sexual intercourse with a male under 18 years of age; or

(c) The person engages in deviate sexual intercourse with another person under 18 years of age or causes that person to engage in deviate sexual intercourse.

(2) Contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor is a Class A misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §117]
163.445 Sexual misconduct. (1) A person commits the crime of sexual misconduct if the person engages in sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse with an unmarried person under 18 years of age.

(2) Sexual misconduct is a Class C misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §118]

Well,,,,It doesn't look good for you. Too bad, with a 98 on the asvab, the choice would probably be yours as to your MOS.

I would hope and pray that nobody wants to do anything about it.

Last edited:
L

loving stepmom

youre in deep s*it dude

zac_oregon said:
Oregon:

I don't know what to do. If there are charges against me, I won't be able to get into the Navy anymore and I got a 98 on my ASVAB so I have a great opportunity here.
well you should have thought of that BEFORE you impregnated a child, which is what your gf legally is. the age of consent in oregon is 18. you better pray her parents dont press charges against you, or you could not only spend time in jail, but also have to register as a lifelong sex offender. you broke the law every time you had sex with her. if i were you, id move to mexico or canada

L

loving stepmom

consult a lawyer

moburkes said:
From what I am seeing, OP was under 18 when the girl got pregnant, right?
maybe but he still may be in trouble-his gf cannot legally consent to sex in the state of oregon. i suggest he have a long serious talk with a lawyer to see what his options are.

Happy Trails

From Oregon statutes:

163.345 Age as a defense in certain cases. (1) In any prosecution under ORS 163.355, 163.365, 163.385, 163.395, 163.415, 163.425, 163.427 or 163.435 in which the victim_s lack of consent was due solely to incapacity to consent by reason of being less than a specified age, it is a defense that the actor was less than three years older than the victim at the time of the alleged offense.

(2) In any prosecution under ORS 163.408, when the object used to commit the unlawful sexual penetration was the hand or any part thereof of the actor and in which the victim_s lack of consent was due solely to incapacity to consent by reason of being less than a specified age, it is a defense that the actor was less than three years older than the victim at the time of the alleged offense.

(3) In any prosecution under ORS 163.445 in which the victim_s lack of consent was due solely to incapacity to consent by reason of being less than a specified age, it is a defense that the actor was less than three years older than the victim at the time of the alleged offense if the victim was at least 15 years of age at the time of the alleged offense. [1971 c.743 §108; 1991 c.386 §3; 1991 c.830 §4; 1999 c.626 §24; amendments by 1999 c.626 §45 repealed by 2001 c.884 §1

BelizeBreeze

Zigner said:
Doesn't matter for 2 of 3 listed above...
Zig, please read the entire statute relating to issues you post about before posting. Simply stating this action IS a crime without also investigating the definitions contained in the statute does a disservice to the poster and all those who read the responses.

There is no crime here. case closed.

ok...what some of you guys don't understand is that he was under 18 at the time they had sex and she got pregnant. so it can't be rape or any of the other crap you thought you knew about. If he is within three years of her age its not agianst any law.

Good luck with the marriage tho. at 16 she has to have parental consent.

zac_oregon

Thanks so much

Thank you to all who have posted. Though I intellectually knew that at 17 I shouldn't even be having sex, my self control was nil. Funny how a child on the way gives you a wake up call. I just got a job at a mill local to where I live and my girlfriend's family is going to let her move here with me and my family. Her mom has been in jail for drugs on and off for years, the most recent time about 2 months ago. She has agreed to consent to us being married when she turns 16. We learned on the internet with a notorized statement from her mother who has sole guardianship over her that we can marry in Arizona.

She lived with her dad for about 6 months who is remarried and didn't get along with her stepmother and they ended up kicking her out. She is welcome in their home to visit, but not to come live again.

No one in her family wants to press charges because they know that I am determined to get into the Navy very soon and until then just secured a job that will allow us not to have to go on public services like welfare or food stamps.

My main concern was the parents of her best friend who kept saying that they could call the police on me and have me arrested.

Thanks again for the advice.

zac_oregon said:
Thank you to all who have posted. Though I intellectually knew that at 17 I shouldn't even be having sex, my self control was nil. Funny how a child on the way gives you a wake up call. I just got a job at a mill local to where I live and my girlfriend's family is going to let her move here with me and my family. Her mom has been in jail for drugs on and off for years, the most recent time about 2 months ago. She has agreed to consent to us being married when she turns 16. We learned on the internet with a notorized statement from her mother who has sole guardianship over her that we can marry in Arizona.

She lived with her dad for about 6 months who is remarried and didn't get along with her stepmother and they ended up kicking her out. She is welcome in their home to visit, but not to come live again.

No one in her family wants to press charges because they know that I am determined to get into the Navy very soon and until then just secured a job that will allow us not to have to go on public services like welfare or food stamps.

My main concern was the parents of her best friend who kept saying that they could call the police on me and have me arrested.

once agian i'd like to reiterate that noone can file charges agianst you. what you did wasn't agianst the law. the police wouldn't of done anything once they did the math on how old you are and how old she is and that you were 17 at the time.

justalayman

zac_oregon said:
Thank you to all who have posted. Though I intellectually knew that at 17 I shouldn't even be having sex, my self control was nil. Funny how a child on the way gives you a wake up call. I just got a job at a mill local to where I live and my girlfriend's family is going to let her move here with me and my family. My main concern was the parents of her best friend who kept saying that they could call the police on me and have me arrested.

My apologies Zac. It was I who did not include the defense (which applies to your situation). While I find the situation loathesome, it is apparently legal to bang a 15 year old kid unless you are more than 18 years old. In other words, a legal adult (18 yo) can screw a 15 yo (child in my eyes) to their hearts content legally as long as there is less than 3 years age difference. That still doesn't make it right or a good situation.

Now back to that 98 on the asvab. I'm not a war monger but there are benefits to the military life. (and some real down side areas as well). The miitary may help you with that self discipline and decision making problem you have.

and to:

Hopkins306 ok...what some of you guys don't understand is that he was under 18 at the time they had sex and she got pregnant. so it can't be rape or any of the other crap you thought you knew about. If he is within three years of her age its not agianst any law.
in respect to the 3rd degree rape charge , the age of 18 is not relevent. Merely the age of the victim (under 16). It was the differential that saved this guys butt. If he turned 17 (under 18 obviously and making your "under 18" point untrue) on Jan 1 and she turned 14 on Jan 2 (making it more than 3 years), the charge would be applicable. This would continue to be applicable until she reached 16 yo.

Inversely, if she turns 15 on Jan 1 and he turns 18 on Jan 2 (2 years 364 days difference), it would not be illegal due to the fact there was less than 3 years difference between them even though he is 18 or over.

The sexual misconduct charge is similarly controlled. His age was not relevent, only the differential.

Kim0220

zac_oregon said:
Oregon:

I am a young man who has been in a sexual relationship with my girlfriend who is 15. She moved away right before I turned 18 a few weeks ago and now she found out she is pregnant. I am entering the military soon and as soon as she is 16 I want to marry her and raise our child together, but right now, she is staying with friends and her friends' parents are telling her that I can go to jail for her being pregnant.

I don't know what to do. If there are charges against me, I won't be able to get into the Navy anymore and I got a 98 on my ASVAB so I have a great opportunity here. Can anyone out there give me information on if I should anticipate charges being leveled against me?

Thank you.

Zac in Oregon

Their are websites set up for sickos like you

acmb05

Kim0220 said:
Their are websites set up for sickos like you
Why does every one assume this guy is a sicko? He did not break any laws and two years difference in age is nothing. If he were 20 and she was 18 would the two year age difference matter to you then. I was 29 and my wife 20 when we met and have been together for 14 years and have 4 wonderful kids.

From his post he was 17 and she was 15 when they had sex. They were both minors and there was no law broken so what is so sick about him?

OP I do hope the military works out for you. I salute you for wanting to defend your Country. I hope that you have a long and prosperous career. Stick with it and retire from military at the age of 38 with a pension and you will have learned some valuable skills that will help you when you do get out, you will also have time in your life to get another career or even stay in till you hit the 30 year mark and get a better pension.

I would suggest however that you start a payroll deduction to have money sent to your girlfriend while you are training to help her with her expenses of this pregnancy.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">