• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents of 16 yr juvinele....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seelee55

What is the name of your state? Tx
Grandson has had a difficult life......Bi-polar Mom..4 younger brothers. My Son-father

Grandson on probation for shoplifting....VOP for truency. Was beat up by group of NewOrleans blacks at school and refused to go back to school. Only one black charged. Came to stay with us in March this year. Enrolled in school ...completed credit recovery classes ..did well.

Went back to court and Judge put teen in our custody.

Mother left husband and family and I made a judgement call and let him go and stay with Dad and help take care of little ones.

You guessed it....got in trouble and charged with bike theft $50 -$500.00. Said he did not steal the bike and did not know the bike was stolen... but bike parts found at his home and he said the kid could work on the bike with his tools. Dad was at home.

When the police came his Dad was frustrated and said "put him in jail" He stayed in detention two days. We went and picked him up after detention hearing. Detention Judge
put him back in our custody. Strict rules ..house arrest.

Back to court....Does not want to plead guilty. Wants trial. Attorney said court wants to put him in custody today. I don't think there will ever be a trial. He will never win. Judge will give him Boot Camp, says attorney. Judge will ultimelty deside.

I cannot believe they will put him in custody over a stolen $20 bike. He deserves a chance in our custody. He does well in our enviorment. I think he will make it if he has a chance in our custody. We are trying to save him and will not return him to his parents. Judge says he will not even be able to go back to old neighborhood.

Sorry for long post...wanted to include as much info as possible.

As lawyers would you advise him to plead guilty and take whatever punshiment the Judge gives him. (my advise) Or take a chance with trial. I don't want to force him to plead guily to something he didn't do......Thanks for any helpWhat is the name of your state?

If he doesn't want to plead guilty, you cannot force him to. The judge will usually ask if the defendant has decided on his own to plead guilty or if someone has coerced him into it. Is this a court-appointed attorney? If so, they get paid if the defendant is found guilty. They will always push for a guilty plea even if the defendant claims they are not guilty.

You said:
You guessed it....got in trouble and charged with bike theft $50 -$500.00. Said he did not steal the bike and did not know the bike was stolen... but bike parts found at his home and he said the kid could work on the bike with his tools. Dad was at home.
Who found the parts? Who is the "he" who said "the kid" could work on the bike with his tools? Who is "the kid"?

I would be reluctant to believe that the child had not stolen the bike. Bikes do not usually fall from the sky, as far as I am aware. Where does the child say the bike came from?

Since it's more likely than not that the child did in fact steal the bike or acquire it by some other than honest means, let him plead not guilty in court if he wants to. Either way, the judge will decide what punishment best suits the crime. If that doesn't include coming back to live with you, then a guilty plea isn't going to change that.

seelee55

I'm not making excuses for him

and I understand the Judge will make the final dicision. Sometimes kids just need a change. I don't think he's a bad kid but I do think his parents haved failed to teach him . I'm not saying they are really bad parents but there is probably room for improvement.

The kid who stole the bike was a neighborhood kid and my grandson should have known better but so should his Dad. It was 11 o'clock at night and his Dad knew they were outside in front working on bicycles.

This is not the kind of crime you would risk losing a child over. He doesn't fight, not in gangs, no drugs. And I know past behavior is the best predicter of future behaviour. I'm just hoping for a different outcome. BTW he does have a court appointed attourney.

seelee55

I'm not making excuses for him

and I understand the Judge will make the final dicision. Sometimes kids just need a change. I don't think he's a bad kid but I do think his parents haved failed to teach him . I'm not saying they are really bad parents but there is probably room for improvement.

The kid who stole the bike was a neighborhood kid and my grandson should have known better but so should his Dad. It was 11 o'clock at night and his Dad knew they were outside in front working on bicycles.

This is not the kind of crime you would risk losing a child over. He doesn't fight, not in gangs, no drugs. And I know past behavior is the best predicter of future behaviour. I'm just hoping for a different outcome. BTW he does have a court appointed attorney.

Boot camp sounds like just the kind of change this kid may need. While you state that he has never gotten into any legal trouble while staying with you, doesn't mean he doesn't still engage in illegal activity. It just means he hasn't been caught. Yet. Having to face the consequences of his actions doesn't mean you are going to "lose" him. In fact, you may be surprised to find that he is more "himself" than ever after experiencing a boot camp program, juvenile detention, or other facility. I understand your concern for your grandson, but I would be more concerned with changing this cycle of criminal conduct before he reaches legal adulthood and lands himself in prison.

seelee55

Thanks..I know you are right.

He probably does need a wake up call. Would like for him to go to school all year. A lot of kids today don't have a chance. The parents and home life of too many kids cause many uncertainies in todays children.
At least the parents are held somewhat responsible today. I know his mother is being held responsible for the days he missed at school. Which probably doesn't mean anything to her. She has probably has had 100 to 200 moving violations. She never has insurance or identification. She has no drivers licence. Has warrents out. The KOPS stop her ...don't care I guess. they never arrest her just give her more tickets. Then she will go sit in jail a day or two and they will wipe them out(tickets). I don't get it.

Thanks anyway..I'll try to let you know outcome later

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">