• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents rights in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nana Monster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I am a grandmother who until this past December (2013) had my granddaughter every weekend. My son is incarcerated and her mother is now living with another guy who she had a kid by a year ago. He moved in with her in December and now I have absolutely no access to my granddaughter. All I want is to see her and spend time with her like I used to. It seems like since he moved in the mother is a completely different person and says she doesn't want me to be with her as I may try to "poison" her mind. The mother wants my son to sign off as the father so this other guy can adopt the little girl who will be 10 soon. Up until he moved in the mother spent a lot of time with me both with and without kids now she won't even take
a phone call. What do I need to do so I can see the little girl again?? I really need help as I think it's a big loss for both of us.:(
Also when he was seeing the mother he was (and still is) married. The mother didn't know it at the time and was pregnant for their son. He finally talked her into putting the son's last name as his...all of this after he told her to abort the child and
disappeared. DSS caught up to him which led to his wife kicking him out and ending back up with the mother.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Be really, really nice to mom and hope she changes her mind about letting you spend time with grandbaby.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
I am a grandmother who until this past December (2013) had my granddaughter every weekend. My son is incarcerated and her mother is now living with another guy who she had a kid by a year ago. He moved in with her in December and now I have absolutely no access to my granddaughter. All I want is to see her and spend time with her like I used to. It seems like since he moved in the mother is a completely different person and says she doesn't want me to be with her as I may try to "poison" her mind. The mother wants my son to sign off as the father so this other guy can adopt the little girl who will be 10 soon. Up until he moved in the mother spent a lot of time with me both with and without kids now she won't even take
a phone call. What do I need to do so I can see the little girl again?? I really need help as I think it's a big loss for both of us.:(
Also when he was seeing the mother he was (and still is) married. The mother didn't know it at the time and was pregnant for their son. He finally talked her into putting the son's last name as his...all of this after he told her to abort the child and
disappeared. DSS caught up to him which led to his wife kicking him out and ending back up with the mother.
Why does mom think that you might poison the child's mind? If you have been expressing opinions when it would have been better to keep your mouth shut a sincere apology can sometimes go a very long way in resolving a problem.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
as it is New York, you can sue your son and the child's mother for grandparent visitation. You won't be granted every weekend visitation but may be granted visitation once a month.

Nana Monster

Why does mom think that you might poison the child's mind? If you have been expressing opinions when it would have been better to keep your mouth shut a sincere apology can sometimes go a very long way in resolving a problem.
I haven't been able to see my granddaughter since Dec as she's always grounded. Now she's stealing in school. I've only talked to her twice on the phone and don't say anything to her about what's going on. My ex and his wife got her for a day for a visit with her sister about a month ago and they called me to see if I wanted to see them for a while. I took them to the mall and went swimsuit shopping for the older sister. I got stuff for the Easter baskets for 5 of the grandkids also and had them pick out stuff for theirs. The mother and I always went to b'fast most Weds until the little boy's dad moved in now there is no communication. I text her to see about getting the girl and am always told NO. She's on some severe
anti-depressants and is not the same at all. My son wrote her the Mom a letter in Dec and the guy walked out on her. Maybe I'm wrong but control seems to be the order of the day here. Even her "facebook" page says she's an "inmate keeper". She's out of work again as she quit her last job and lost the one she applied for. She's talking about moving to another city where we may not be able to see my grandaughter

Last edited:

LdiJ

I haven't been able to see my granddaughter since Dec as she's always grounded. Now she's stealing in school. I've only talked to her twice on the phone and don't say anything to her about what's going on. My ex and his wife got her for a day for a visit with her sister about a month ago and they called me to see if I wanted to see them for a while. I took them to the mall and went swimsuit shopping for the older sister. I got stuff for the Easter baskets for 5 of the grandkids also and had them pick out stuff for theirs. The mother and I always went to b'fast most Weds until the little boy's dad moved in now there is no communication. I text her to see about getting the girl and am always told NO. She's on some severe
anti-depressants and is not the same at all. My son wrote her the Mom a letter in Dec and the guy walked out on her. Maybe I'm wrong but control seems to be the order of the day here. Even her "facebook" page says she's an "inmate keeper". She's out of work again as she quit her last job and lost the one she applied for. She's talking about moving to another city where we may not be able to see my grandaughter
A grandparent visitation order won't stop mom from relocating with her children. Its a long process to get a grandparent visitation order and that is assuming that you win.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Consult with a competent family law attorney who will be able to advise you what you can realistically expect and approximately how much it will cost you.

ecmst12

A GPV suit would cost you a ton of money, have no guaranty of success, and completely destroy any chance of good will between you and mom, forever. Not recommended.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">