• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandson in trouble...calling for help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caroljo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My son was divorced about 9 yrs ago. He married a woman back then that had 2 boys from a previous marriage. They had 2 boys while together, they're now age 12 & 14. After being divorced, she remarried a guy and had 3 more kids (and one miscarriage). They live mostly on welfare, the dad works when he wants to, and my son pays $700 a month child support. The person she married is very abusive to the kids (that aren't his). Her 2 oldest boys had gotten in knock down drag out fight with him before and they both have moved out of the house (their father was an illegal mexican and they never knew him). My 2 grandsons love their mother, but don't want to live there anymore...they both want to move in with their dad, but his ex won't even think of it. So my son went to try to get custody last fall. My 14 yr old grandson has turned to drugs and/or alcohol to "cope". He's gotten in trouble at school several times, got caught smoking "spice" or drinking...he's admitted to taking pills. The step dad hit him before and gave him a black eye...then put himself into a treatment center - we know he only did this to try to keep himself out of trouble, and it worked. There's a lot more to their living situation than i can describe here now.

My son has an attorney that is trying to help him get the boys, but for now since Jordan is on probation, has been to detention a few times now, the Atty says there isn't anything they can do until he's gets off probation...or IF the probation officer agrees that the boys need to be moved out of the house. Jordan had been on house arrest also, and a few days ago he snuck off to a neighbors house and got high on spice...the probation officer happened to show up at their house while he was gone and was there when he came back so high they had to take him to the hospital. Now after he gets out of detention again, he'll be on a tether. But they're going to send him right back to where the problems started, at home. He's missed so much school they've been talking of homeschooling him...which is just incredible to me since his mother never went past the 8th grade and wouldn't be much help to him!

The kid is crying for help...the court knows my son is trying to get custody. The probation officer is blatently on his ex wifes side (anyone that has had to deal with this woman says what a B**** she is and is always on the mothers side) When we've gone to court she pretty much ignores him. His ex is a VERY cunning person, and she can make anyone believe she's just a wonderful mother...and we know that's what's she's done. My son lives in another county, so we think some of the issue is if they have the boys move in with their dad they won't be getting the court money in OUR county.

I guess my question is...what can my son do? What's his rights as a father? Is his attorney correct that they can't go on with the custody suit until Jordan is off probation? His atty said the courts believe Jordan is playing the system....he knows he will be put someplace else (detention) when he screws up, and it doesn't seem to matter. I sometimes think he'd rather be there than at home! So why would the court not see what this kid is crying out for? We all really believe that if he was living at his dads, he would have a MUCH better chance of straightening his life up. Sorry for rambling on :)....anyone have any ideas for us? Thanks!

Indiana Filer

Please have your son sign up for an account and ask for advice. You are not a party to either the delinquency case nor to the custody case. Your thoughts don't matter at all.

caroljo

It's my grandson and i think i have a lot to do with this...i don't want to see him kill himself! These are not just my thoughts...these are facts and what has happened. All i want is some advice as to what my son can or cannot do. If you don't want to answer or don't have an answer, then don't respond.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
It's my grandson and i think i have a lot to do with this...i don't want to see him kill himself! These are not just my thoughts...these are facts and what has happened. All i want is some advice as to what my son can or cannot do. If you don't want to answer or don't have an answer, then don't respond.
Alrighty then. :cool:

caroljo

I apologize for being rude...i'm just so worried about him. And nobody seems so understand the pain my grandson is in or what HE wants and needs.

Just Blue

I apologize for being rude...i'm just so worried about him. And nobody seems so understand the pain my grandson is in or what HE wants and needs.
We do understand. But DAD needs to either post here for assistance or consult his attorney. You are not legally able to help the child. Only the PARENTS are able.

caroljo

Thank you, i do understand. I just hoped i could get some information to pass along to him, as he's not good at explaining things. I get a little upset with him because he's not a very outspoken person and i'm afraid he's being taken advantage of. He's a very loving and responsible dad, works hard, and everyone that knows him knows how much he tries to do everything right for his kids. I'll talk to him and see if he'll get on here himself. Thanks anyway :)

Just Blue

Thank you, i do understand. I just hoped i could get some information to pass along to him, as he's not good at explaining things. I get a little upset with him because he's not a very outspoken person and i'm afraid he's being taken advantage of. He's a very loving and responsible dad, works hard, and everyone that knows him knows how much he tries to do everything right for his kids. I'll talk to him and see if he'll get on here himself. Thanks anyway :)
Yeah. Time to cut the cord Mother. Adult Son has an attorney. If he is so unable to deal with this MOST important matter perhaps he should not have an attorney but a caretaker.;)

you can help. you can pay for a lawyer for him if you wish ... and in other non-legal ways.

In reality, the courts rarely give grandparents any party-rights at all.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I think many of us DO understand. Problem is, when kids act out as a method of getting something they want, all it *really* does is point out that they are not mature enough to make these sorts of decisions. Few 14yo's are capable of making such life-altering decisions. Your grandson is showing that he is certainly not.

At the end of the day, his negative actions are unlikely to be met with positive consequences. Your grandson will not be rewarded for being (pardon my phraseology) a screw-up.

What *I* would suggest is urging your son to set aside his pride, his dislike of his ex and her husband, and find a way to work with them - and the authorities - to get this young man back on track. Your grandson needs to see that the adults in his life are all on the same page, and he can no longer manipulate things to his desires/advantages.

Good luck to all of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">