• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KimberlyAnnK

What is the name of your state? Indiana.
I have sole legal and physical custody of my 8 and 6 year old daughters. The biological father is not dead but has been away for over 6 years and has not exercised any visitation but does pay support through garnishment. Is it possible to have someone else obtain guadianship over the girls and I still retain all legal rights to them? I would like to have someone be able to take them to the doctor or dentist or the hospital should I not available.
Thanks, Kim

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Indiana.
I have sole legal and physical custody of my 8 and 6 year old daughters. The biological father is not dead but has been away for over 6 years and has not exercised any visitation but does pay support through garnishment. Is it possible to have someone else obtain guadianship over the girls and I still retain all legal rights to them? I would like to have someone be able to take them to the doctor or dentist or the hospital should I not available.
Thanks, Kim
Do you have someone in mind? A POA should work for Doctors visits and such...why would you want to give guardianship?

BTW: Dad would have to agree to a guardianship.

KimberlyAnnK

The person I have in mind is a boyfriend and the only father my daughters have ever known. He has been in their lives for over 4 years now. Their biological father is unreachable. I do not know where he is and he choses to have no contact with them except for child support which is garnished. I know I could go through child support office and have him tracked down through his job and a message relayed but even at that, it is long shot he will return any correspondence. His permission is basically unattainable. The other factor in finding him is he is American Indian and if they are on reservation-you can just forget finding them. I just would like limited legal rights to be allowed for specific tasks; i.e. medical/dental appointments.

Just Blue

The person I have in mind is a boyfriend and the only father my daughters have ever known. He has been in their lives for over 4 years now. Their biological father is unreachable. I do not know where he is and he choses to have no contact with them except for child support which is garnished. I know I could go through child support office and have him tracked down through his job and a message relayed but even at that, it is long shot he will return any correspondence. His permission is basically unattainable. The other factor in finding him is he is American Indian and if they are on reservation-you can just forget finding them. I just would like limited legal rights to be allowed for specific tasks; i.e. medical/dental appointments.
Well...Dad will have to okay this. Either a POA or Guardianship would have to be with the consent of both parents.

Are you and the BF planning on getting married? Perhaps if you marry the BF could adopt the children ...As dad has no relationship with the children he may consent to this.

KimberlyAnnK

We are not ready to get married yet but has been discussed as well as adoption. So I guess for now, we will have to stay status quo. Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">