• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harboring a runaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LOKI15

What is the name of your state?Mississippi

I have guardianship of my 16yr old sister.

Little sister is grounded, she recieved F's. She ran away Friday from school (seriously, what did she have to loose? She was already grounded).

Little sister was hiding at her friends house. We involved the local police and sherrifs. The detective that was on the case questioned the other girl and the girls mother several times trying to locate baby sister, they lied to the detective several times about many different things (including not knowing the boy she was with even though it was her nephew).

The girls aunt transported little sister across the state line into La. with the mother's knowlage.

The detective is still involved in question the girl and her mother... guess he didn't like being lied to.
Little sister is going back to live with her father next week (she lost more than she thought).

Can I press charges against the mother as well as the child who hide her and lied to myself and the detective? The child is also 16.

Thank you in advance,
Loki

Wolflmg

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can to the mother at least. The 16 year old is a minor and was probably assesting her mom with helping your sister run off. Not sure if you will be able to put charges on her, but the mother you probably could.

Why do you have gaurdianship of your sister?

LOKI15

Wolflmg said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can to the mother at least. The 16 year old is a minor and was probably assesting her mom with helping your sister run off. Not sure if you will be able to put charges on her, but the mother you probably could.

Why do you have gaurdianship of your sister?

The short version...

Bio-mother had an internet affair with some guy in Pa... dropped the 2 girls off at school one day and never came back to pick them up. (they haven't heard from her since, no child support, no B-day cards, nothing)
She had been planning this for quite some time... the house was forclosed on, the cars repoed, the banks emptied, several credit cards taken out on Dad's name etc...
Poor Dad flipped. This happened 3 weeks before their 15yr anniversary. He had a breakdown of sorts, lost his job, started drinking, etc.

I took little sis until Dad could get his life back together. Origionally she was to stay a month or so over the summer.... that was 4 years ago.
I stay home and was/am able to stay with baby sister, she goes to a wonderful private school and wants for nothing. We didn't want her to see what was happening to Dad either... we wanted her to be able to have a childhood spending her days horseback riding and watching the clouds rather than wondering if Dad was going to be ok. I made the mistake of raising her as I do my own two children... nieve. (a mistake I realized this weekend).

She did good out here going from F's to straight A's. She joined Bata club, front line, made co captain on the varsity cheerleading team... the list goes on and on. The past 2 semesters though she's dropped to F's and one heck of a mean attitude!

MAybe its hormonal... I'm suspecting drugs. (although I haven't found any and not for lack of looking!)

The mother of the girl is a teacher who works at a primary school. The police have decided to press charges against her (we found this out today). I was not on the phone but hubby said there were 4 seperate charges.

I'd like to contact the school board as well... to be honest I'd like to slap a civil judgment against the woman, put a lien on her house and clean out her bank account... hiding children is WRONG! I called them several times even telling them that her father was crying (its bad to make your mother cry but when you've made your father cry you've gone way to far). My Dad is not in wonderful health and he doesn't need this type of stress.

The other child involved I feel should also be punished, this girls parents have no control (or desire) over this girl. (there were actually two other children involved but I know the other ones parents and I truely believe the Dad will do more damage than any police could ever do...)

My long story has turned into a short novel.....
Regardless... baby sis will be going back to stay with her Dad (in Tx) this coming weekend until her grandparents return from their trip. Once they return she will be sent to finish the school year in Pa with them. (Dad is relocating to another city in Tx and is living in a hotel until everything is finished)

I tried to press charges against baby sister but the police somehow managed to talk me out of it.... I feel she should learn the hard way that what she did was wrong and spending a night or two in juvinal hall would do her no harm.

Last edited:

LOKI15

ENASNI said:
Jeesh... sounds like a bad after school special... good luck!

Its a difficult situation.

I've found parenting to be something that is learned through experiance. My oldest is 9, my youngest is 5. I'm ashamed to admit I'm clueless when it comes to the drama of a 16yr old girl. ( I was never like this when I was her age)

Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">