• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harboring a runaway?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmo5

What is the name of your state?TX

My 14 yr olds girlfriends Mother picked him up with out my knowledge or consent after he had climbed out his bedroom window and called her. I called her immediately after finding the note he had left saying he was at a friends house not to worry and that he would contact me. Mother and daughter both lied and said they had not seen or heard from him. I knew he was with her but it wasn’t until several hours later that she called and said she had him. I called Tarrant County Police but they said there wasn’t really anything that could be done with her. I find this hard to believe.

HomeGuru

cmo5 said:
What is the name of your state?TX

My 14 yr olds girlfriends Mother picked him up with out my knowledge or consent after he had climbed out his bedroom window and called her. I called her immediately after finding the note he had left saying he was at a friends house not to worry and that he would contact me. Mother and daughter both lied and said they had not seen or heard from him. I knew he was with her but it wasn’t until several hours later that she called and said she had him. I called Tarrant County Police but they said there wasn’t really anything that could be done with her. I find this hard to believe.

**A: I also find that hard to believe.

Happy Trails

Not too hard to believe......

From Texas statutes:

Sec. 25.06. HARBORING RUNAWAY CHILD. (a) A person commits an offense if he knowingly harbors a child and he is criminally negligent about whether the child:
~ ~ (1) is younger than 18 years; and
~ ~ (2) has escaped from the custody of a peace officer, a probation officer, the Texas Youth Council, or a detention facility for children, or is voluntarily absent from the child's home without the consent of the child's parent or guardian for a substantial length of time or without the intent to return.
~ (b) [amended 9/1/95] It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor was related to the child within the second degree by consanguinity or affinity, as determined under Chapter 573, Government Code.
~ (c) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the actor notified:
~ ~ (1) the person or agency from which the child escaped or a law enforcement agency of the presence of the child within 24 hours after discovering that the child had escaped from custody; or
~ ~ (2) a law enforcement agency or a person at the child's home of the presence of the child within 24 hours after discovering that the child was voluntarily absent from home without the consent of the child's parent or guardian.
~ (d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
~ (e) On the receipt of a report from a peace officer, probation officer, the Texas Youth Council, a foster home, or a detention facility for children that a child has escaped its custody or upon receipt of a report from a parent, guardian, conservator, or legal custodian that a child is missing, a law enforcement agency shall immediately enter a record of the child into the National Crime Information Center.

**Although I find it pathetic that they helped him and lied to you, I don't see where the police could have done anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">